Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Cone?

Default Cone?

Is there a simple way to make a cone shape in Xara Photo and Graphics designer 2013? I need to make a cone that can be extruded and shaped sort of like this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img3.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	93859 Any help would greatly be appreciated. I need it to be an actual cone and not just a flat triangle that has been extruded to a semi box shape but I can not seem to wrap my head around it. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Cone?

You can create a cone fairly easily using the Ellipse Tool and the Shape Editor Tool. See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cone.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	93862  

Like this you mean?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a cone.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	93866
    I'll find a use for it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I appreciate the graphics gwpriester and Scaleback666 but they are 2D and I need something that I can rotate the cone in multiple planes. I am working on beading drawings and having a problem with making the view as if it was from the top of the cone looking downward at a slight angle. Its like I need a pentagon shape with cones on all the flat sides but the pentagon shape is viewed from the side not straight on like a drawn pentagon. I am adding a drawing to show what I have thus far but I would like for the whole thing to be able to rotate around if possible. I have one cone attached but need to put them all around the pentagon of squares. Name:  Cone on top.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  10.0 KB I really appreciate the help with this. I do not know if this is the best software for drawing the illustrations but I am giving it a shot. After all the images are built I will add thread paths with lines and curves to show how the thread moves through the beads to complete the finished project.

Wrong software. Xara isn't a 3D application, has a 3D extrude tool - but this isn't the same thing.

Try Blender, it's free

Thank you Sledger downloading now to check it out.

Sledger, unfortunately Blender is not for me. It would be just too hard to do beading illustrations for me in this software. The learning curve is way steep and I just got more frustrated. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
    Mike

MBurns0208, there is no doubt there is a steep learning curve to blender, but all true 3D modeling programs do. There are lots and lots of Blender tutorials available on the web, and many are aimed at the beginner, which is where I am. However once mastered you could do much and I think that additional capability would be most satisfying. Some of the members here use Blender as well as Xara and some like Angelize picked it up pretty quick. That said I know how you feel.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Mike,

Given that you're wanting to create the cones as 3D objects & do it "simply", then I'd suggest you try MoI.
    http://moi3d.com/

One of the options within MoI allows you to create Isocurves from your 3D model.
    MoI is able to Export as AI-EPS which Xara can open.

HTH, Colin

You might try Sketchup. It is also free and has a reasonably intuitive user interface. There are loads of tutorial videos explaining how to use it online.

Sketchup itself is not so good at realistic rendering but there are a number of good plugins that can produce great results. E.g. "Render[in]".

Phil