Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how to create a string of lines, end to end

Hi,

I'm a CAD guy. The very first thing any CAD program can do is be able to create a series of lines, connected end to end, on the fly, by starting each line snapped to the end of the last line.

I cannot see (and I've been thru Help, the Internet, and these Forums) how to do this very basic procedure. Perhaps I'm missing something (). I can see how you can make 2 lines separately, then move one to snap to the other, but this seems awfully crude for a program like Xara.

Thx,
    Geof

Default Re: how to create a string of lines, end to end

You could make a brush that would do that, but why go to that trouble when you could make your line the required length and shape and it would be a vector. Am I missiing something here.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

In any CAD program, the first thing you learn is how to make a series of end-to-end connected lines simply by going click-click-click-click... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Series of connected lines.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	93829

If I understand your problem correctly - pen tool - Shift+f5

YOU'RE THE MAN!...if a CAD guy was doing the Xara interface, this would be the first tool, or at least first on the line-tool flyout (of course, artists are probably thankful that CAD guys are not doing the Xara interface!)

Thanks, Drwyd,
    Geof

The Shape Tool with the Make Line option selected will do this.

But Xara is not, and has no pretensions to be a CAD program. It's a vector drawing application that can do many things. CAD is not one of these.

The Shape tool (F4) is probably the better way to do this job than the Pen tool.

It reports useful information such as line lengths, angles and point positions in it's infobar whereas the pen tool does not.

Phil