Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default IE8, IE9, Chrome and XP vs WIN7 - and Compatibility Mode

OK, so life was good with XP / IE8, or at least until the files got big and Out of Memory became a PITA and some other problems arose. But a new WIN 7 (64 bit) machine has seemed to resolve those previous issues.

And for the past 8 days or so, life has been good with the WIN7/IE9 machine. Until today.

History:
    Web Designer MX Premium was installed on the WIN7 (64 bit desktop) to Program Files (x86).
    Existing web file copied from old XP computer to new Win7 and lots of successful edits and publications made over past 8 days.

Problem:
    Today I edited pages created previously in XP (32 bit) and published them and the text looked horrible. I turned on compatibility mode in XP/IE8 and Win7/IE9 computers and things look as they did yesterday. But using Chrome, these pages still look like crap.

Why all of a sudden is enabling compatibility mode necessary?

I have submitted a ticket, but thought I'd check here as well as post solutions - if they become available.

BTW - does anyone know for certain if XARA Web Designer MX Premium is 100% WIN 7 (64 bit) compliant?
    If it is not, what other tools are out there with similar funtionality but are pushing the envelope of hardware and software? XARA is nice but if it is old code and can't keep up with progress then I need to be looking sooner rather than later.

Default Re: IE8, IE9, Chrome and XP vs WIN7 - and Compatibility Mode

I have used Xara Designer Pro 7 and Designer Pro 8, as well as the equivalent Web Designer programs on Windows 7 and now 8 both 64-bit with no problems.

I am wondering if your text problem is caused by changing the default text size in your browser. This will cause text to do odd things.

Default Re: IE8, IE9, Chrome and XP vs WIN7 - and Compatibility Mode

Quote Originally Posted by CQDX View Post
    BTW - does anyone know for certain if XARA Web Designer MX Premium is 100% WIN 7 (64 bit) compliant?
    Yes it is, but remember it's a 32bit application but like other 32bit apps they run seamlessly via the WOW64 x86 emulator (though you are still facing the same addressable memory restrictions)
    I shouldn't be surprised if Xara aren't working towards a 64bit version

Can you show us what you are seeing?