Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tutorial on using guides and snapping

Watched Gary's video on creating seamless tiles but it raised a couple of questions. He does not mention snapping to a grid so that his tile will be whole pixels. It's all and good to make the nudge the same size as your rectangle/square, I get that, but how does he know that he won't have any semi-transparent (or whitish if bitmapped) pixels since he places the original square anywhere on the workspace.

The other issue is that he makes a bitmap copy. Whenever I have tried to use the bitmap copy function I get a pixelated bmp. I didn't used to get pixelated bitmap copies but one day they just started coming up all pixelated. I asked here about it and no one had an answer so I always export as PNG now. That was XX5Pro. I'll have to try it in P&GD7 and see if it's better.

Now to follow through Gary Priester's Xzone tut. Looks like that covers more of the snapping.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

If you get a pixelated image when creating a bitmap copy, try upping the dpi. It's always better to start with a high dpi image and export it to something lower afterward.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Thanks Ben. I was getting the pixelation when converting my finished vectors with the bitmap tool. I will investigate again.

I just finished watching Angelize's two tutorials on using Xara and Filter Forge to make a pumpkin. Very nice tut. What I found the most exciting though is to see that Xara now has an eraser and a shape builder tool. I want those. For years I heard people asking for an eraser. Didn't think it was possible. Very cool.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I know we are getting off topic here but the eraser and shapebuilder are very cool I use them a lot. They are in the latest versions of Designer Pro and photo and graphic designer but if you want the shapebuilder you will have to upgrade to designer Pro X. I recommend that as they work together and having both makes the work flow better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Nancy - look at the view tab in options and make sure that 'never smooth' is not ticked - also if you use live effects make sure the default resolutions on the effects and plugins tab are set high enough

Egg - not so far behind you

Good suggestions handrwn. I didn't think about those settings. It's possible that I changed something by mistake as I'm sure that I used to not have issues with bitmap copies.