Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tutorial on using guides and snapping

One of the functions I never conquered in Xara was using guides, snapping and setting up the parameters for them. I export almost exclusively as PNG and most of my images have a semi-transparent pixel edge around them because I am not exactly on full-pixel. this makes it almost impossible to make seamless tiles.

I remember having a link to one of Gary's tutorials about grids and snapping. Does anyone have other tutorials that they know of that might help me or are favorites of your's? I'd love to figure this out. If you know where I can find Gary's tutorial again I'd be grateful too.

When I've tried different grid parameters they did no seem to work for me. I think I'm doing something wrong.

I use Xara5Pro and work on 800x600 pixel workspaces and 2550x3300 pixel workspaces (US letter size), depending on what I'm doing. I'd like to make 600x600 seamless tiles....heck, I'd just like to learn how to snap to a grid so any size comes out without that semi-transparent border.

Thanks bunches.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Tutorial on using guides and snapping

It's been a while Nancy.

Here's a grid Workbook article http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...workbook_2.htm

Hi Gary, yes it has been awhile.

A couple of years ago I started using XX to create scrapbooking item. I moved away from that and now make 3D models and do some texture work. It takes so much of my time. XX is still one of my favorite programs (I have version 7 but I like 5pro better for what I do) but I haven't used it much lately. I'd like to begin using it again for seamless tiles. Those pesky half pixels have always haunted me.

Thanks for the link again. I'll give this a try again.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Nancy! Welcome Back to talkgraphics! you might find this Xara Xone tutorial interesting http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/cr...rns-with-xara/ and as well you might find some interesting stuff in the discussion thread for this video http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...Designer-Pro-X

I can also recommend that you take another look at version 7 as it has the magic snapping feature, I find it really handy for a lot of things.
    Last edited by angelize; 26 December 2012 at 08:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Magic snapping. I already like the sound of that, lol. So nice to see you again Angelize and thank you for the links. I intend to follow them all and see if I can't educate myself.

I'm taking a month off to learn some new software and to relearn some of my favorites, Xara included. At my age it's hard to retain all that I learn so I have to keep at it.

Hi Nancy. Glad to see you are still around.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hello again Nancy.
    I use Xara5Pro and work on 800x600 pixel workspaces and 2550x3300 pixel workspaces (US letter size), depending on what I'm doing.
    On my system US Letter defaults to 816 x 1056. This is at the default Windows 96 ppi.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Nancy

Hi Egg - would imagine Nancy is working at 2550x3300 at 96dpi within xara which can then be reduced down to 816x1056 at 300dpi for print [or whatever] - the ratio is right anyhow...

Spot on Steve. I'm getting to old for all this tech stuff
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi everybody, hi Larry!! Thanks for all the responses.

I'm blushing because I forgot that XX uses 96dpi. When I setup the default workspace in XX I made it using 300dpi x 8.5 in and 11 in as my guide. I no longer need anything that size but I do open that workspace if I have something very large that needs editing. XX could become very slow when using that size document.

I am just now starting the tutorials listed here. Wanted to check out Angelize's links and then decide which of the links listed I should do first. It's getting the guide parameters setup properly to what I need that has always eluded me. Wish me luck!