Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Site split into sub-sites - Help Needed!

Now I got a message saying my file exceeded the forum's upload size

Greg

Just make a copy of your file, delete all but one page that your having the problem, then attach that.

I rebooted, refreshed and the link was still wrong. Then just a few minutes ago, my wife looked at the page and it worked which is weird. Then I once more refreshed and it then worked.

However, I created another sun-folder called 1970b for the remainder 4 albums and song list and when I did a "Preview" of this page in 'firefox" it showed the correct link. But once again, once uploaded it didn't work. I also noticed that the first page worked and second one didn't. So this error seems random - crazy but true!!

I will upload the web file for 1070b as it is just a duplication from 1970a and the main site!

Greg

Here is the 1970b file

Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks sledger for your patience with me.... This is causing me grey hairs and so I can't imagine what I am causing you - LOL

Just out of curiosity - Is this how my file structure should be... Main site with sub-folders?

Greg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Structure.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	93740

[1] You are using a presentation template rather a web template - was that deliberate?
    This will render presentation navigate arrows and menu on mouse over at the lower left of the screen.

Name:	presnav.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	93743

[2] If the file you attached is being uploaded to the /1970b directory (path) on your host the links to the root pages from the index.htm therein (bio.htm / gallery.htm / contact.htm / blog.htm / about.htm) should really be relative paths.
    You have entered absolute paths

See ► http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginn.../aa040502a.htm

eg;

Name:	absolute.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	93742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relative.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	93741
    (The above relates only to how links from the index.htm in your 1970a and 1970b directories (paths) should be.)

It should not have been a Presentation Template. This is my second design and both times I used a "Infrastructure Theme" and modified it!

My site is broken down so it will have many (not 100% sure of the number yet) sub-sites. On the main site it only has (index.htm / bio.htm / gallery.htm / contact.htm / blog.htm / about.htm) and it has a link for discography which has a dropdown menu for 1970 / 1980 / 1990 /2000.

Due to this artist only bringing out 8 albums in the 70's I decided to break it down so I have 4 albums per sub-site and called them 1970a and 1970b. So on the second site, the 1970a and 1970b would link back to the first site dropdown menu of discography 1970. 1970a is a index.htm page and it uses the same navbar that the main site uses and so on.

In the 1970a index.htm page I had to change the navbar from the local sub-site to link to the main site. Thus, HOME on 1970a is linked back to http://larrynormanlyrics and the navbar BIOGRAPHY is then http://larrynormanlyrics.com/bio.htm and so on.

On the main site when linking to the 1970b index.htm page it is http://larrynormanlyrics.com/1970a/index.htm and that would be the only link that would change on the main site until I get to 1980 / 1990 and 2000.

Yeah, the attachment I sent you had not yet been changed for bio / gallery etc.. so they would have come out all wrong.

The problem I was having is when linking back to the main sites index page (My main url) it was coming out double as explained in the beginning and I just could not understand why.

The attachment file I sent you was not a great example as it was not full functional as I hadn't yet linked it back to the main site.

I hope this all makes sense? as even I am getting confused

Anyway, that is basically the structure of my website. Because it will eventually have well over 600 pages, I had to break it down into many small sub sites as Xara WD MX got too overloaded after about 100 pages and gave "out of memory" errors.

I will check out the links you supplied and try and learn from them and get back if I still continue to have issues.

Thanks very much for being patient with me. I have used Xara products before for web designing but WD MX is so different from what I was used to back in the Webstyles 4 days.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Muis60 View Post
    The problem I was having is when linking back to the main sites index page (My main url) it was coming out double as explained in the beginning and I just could not understand why.
    See post #17

Yep, that is what I was doing but it still was acting weirdly with a double link.

Since then I have got it to work properly and all seems fine now.

Thanks very much for your help and patience. Much appreciated.

Greg