Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New Member

Just started using Xara, and boy am I impressed, it really is a a great product.

Having spent the last couple days reading through some of the old posts I can see that there are some really talented people in this group.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I'm just another web designer wannebe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img],
    I have done a couple of sites for friends but nothing major, but I thought I would get a little more serious about it.

My new homepage (My Homepage) I did this evening, still in very early stage, but if you want to take a peek be my guest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Done 100% in Xara i might add, oh and Homesite.

Just started using Xara, and boy am I impressed, it really is a a great product.

Having spent the last couple days reading through some of the old posts I can see that there are some really talented people in this group.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I'm just another web designer wannebe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img],
    I have done a couple of sites for friends but nothing major, but I thought I would get a little more serious about it.

My new homepage (My Homepage) I did this evening, still in very early stage, but if you want to take a peek be my guest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Done 100% in Xara i might add, oh and Homesite.

I like the front page very much. No problem for me what so ever. Nice and clean with pleasant colors.

Oh, and welcome!!!!

Love the simplicity and white space. Simple is often more attention grabbing than cluttered.

Now you need to move on to rollover buttons.

See the November XaraXone Xara Tutorial.

And, welcome to the Xara X Conference, AC :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

Thanks John and Gary, I'm glad to be here and I'm sure I'll learn alot from all you talented people.

I wanted to make my site clean and easy to read, I think too many web sites are overly stuffed with graphics and text that do nothing more that confuse the reader.

Remember: White space is your friend. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Alan.

Alan said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Remember: White space is your friend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reminds me of a drum-set teacher I had many years ago - he used to say things like "less is more" and "space is the place" when referring to drum solos and fills. Always good advice - and it applies here too.

Nice, clean front page Alan. I like it!

- Pete

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I too like the whitespace and encourage you to develop the subsequent pages with equally impressive restraint. In my own website I give advice to others looking for ideas for theirs - my favorite advice is keep it simple. As you have shown simple can be good. Very good.

I also have particular fondness for lightbulbs as a symbol of good creative ideas. Please visit my sight and see how I've used a very simple (one minute) lightbulb drawing that I drew in xara. For the rollover graphic I've used a two-frame xara-generated animated gif. (The text that comes up on mouseover is a dhtml layer effect).

Before I go I must advise you that it that it is totally unacceptable to describe your location as Canada! As one of the largest countries on earth saying "Canada" does not locate you accurately enough. Please-please be more specific. I at least want to know where in Canada you live. I'm anxious to have our first Newfoundlander! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thanks for the kind words Ross, much appreciated. I checked out your site and I like it very much, very easy to read and navigate, I really like the dhtml layer effect.. very nice. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm in Peterborough, Ontario. Not Newfoundland, sorry to disappoint you.. but still a darn good province. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Alan.

(My first Xara mouseovers, I'm so proud.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Homepage)

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Peterborough - Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice! I once worked with a guy whose dream it was to move to Peterborough. He thought it was the perfect place for him. (Incidently, he did move there but last I heard he has subsequently moved to Nova Scotia. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I don't know why the change was made. I suspect it had nothing to do with Peterborough. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Your rollovers look great! Please do give some attention to the 'alternate text' labels. They don't make much sense right now. Perhaps the one on your bulb could give a brief discourse on the importance of 'bright ideas' rather than just say "bulb".

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I agree Ross, my 'alternate text' text labels don't make much sense, but the page was just thrown together quickly to show off my Xara skills. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The page will be fixed uped over the next couple of weeks, so all these little errors will be cleared up.

Alan.