Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Disappearing Fonts

I just posted about the same issue here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ve-disappeared

Yes, the Windows update seems to coincide with my fonts disappearing out of the blue in the last week.

Does anyone have an inside line to Xara and know if this will be fixed/corrected soon?! I can't update any of my graphics and text in the meantime because the font I use for them is missing so I'm stuck at a standstill.

Oh, I do see now that it says to delete update KB2753842, but I am scared to mess with those kind of things for fear of breaking something and not knowing what I'm doing. Does that really fix the problem? If so, maybe I can get my tech guy to log onto my computer remotely to delete it for me.

Default Re: Help! My fonts have disappeared

Oh, thank you so much! I swear, sometimes I feel like a crazy person for these things to happen seemingly out of the blue. Good to know it's not just me, at least, lol.

Also, I have a dumb question because I'm a techno dummy when it comes to these things, where would I go to delete that update? I looked in the control panel under add/remove programs (because I seemed to remember seeing Microsoft updates there in the past), but I didn't see anything that said KB2753842. Thanks in advance for the directions.

There should be a "show updates" check box in add/remove programs ;-)

http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.co...753842-on.html
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

You can get your tech guy to uninstall the update, but if you follow the directions Steve Ledger provided earlier, there is nothing to break and many members here already have killed the update and have their fonts back.

Let me reiterate here that the problem is only with Opentype—TrueType is not affected—and that the only "flavor" of Opentype that gets hidden are those fonts that use Type 1-style glyphs within the font. Opentype that is coded with quadratic B-splines (and there is no way for a mortal to discover this unless you own FontLab), "TrueType glyphs" in other words, will show in Xara and other graphics programs.

My Best,

Gary

Thanks, Gary et al!

I ended up finding those instructions after I posted, and was able to delete that update without any problems. And my fonts returned! Yay!

I'd like to say, "It's all good", but Microsoft issues updates for a reason, and this one was supposed to stop exploits in the way Windows' kernel mode drivers handle objects in memory. In English, how glyphs in Opentype that have Type 1 style outlines can be altered to host malware, drive-by stuff when you hit a site that has a special surprise inside a typeface that's being displayed.

So far, no one has reported being blasted to bits who uninstalled the update, so it's (mostly) all good!

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 18 December 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Surely they would have known it causes this to happen though. Why didn't they warn it would happen? Why did they act dumb until forced into a statement that only blamed Xara and others, not them? They know also that most people haven't the foggiest knowledge of fonts. There are people all over the world with no clue thinking their computer has kicked the out-tray.

Sorry, I thought MS had cleaned up their act a bit concerning actual human beings using their software. Gullible, I am!

Sigh
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

But isn't update KB2753842 important? It is a security update. Do you really want to remove it?

Looks like it's driving graphics people nuts all over the place --

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-25c979fd6e98

I just thought it was my new installation of Xara Designer Pro X in Windows 8.

I would expect that Microsoft will remedy this in a future update, wouldn't you?

In my Fonts list it seems to be mainly fonts that were installed by Adobe to go with my version of Creative Suite that are missing.