Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Mexican Restaurant with smartphone redirect

I have designed a website for a local restaurant and the customer was very happy with it. But, as a side remark, they mentioned it did not "fit" on their smartphone screens and indicated that they actually expected their website to fit as a matter-of-fact. As frequently discussed on these two WD forums, customers are now expecting their websites to be 'responsive' (even if they do not know what that means). So, because I am thick and not able (willing) to learn responsive web design, my best option is to use Xara to knock up a mini version of a website. Because Xara is so easy and quick, I can quickly cut and paste the main elements or contents of the main site and fit them into a smaller page size and only use the most pertinent information so that the phone versions loads as quickly as possible.
    My customer is very pleased with his new mobile-optimised site but I still have just the one problem, and that is I still cannot 'lock' the website in the side-to-side position. This only occurs on the iPhone, Android versions of this website are 'locked' into position and look better on the screen. If I could fix this lock problem, I think I could legitimately say that Xara can now cover both bases, even if it isn't a genuine 'responsive site, it is a sellable option for us Xara designers. If anyone has any ideas, I am pretty sure if a fix can be found, it would answer a lot of the mobile-optimised site questions we keep getting on this forum.
    I have tested the redirect and it sends most phones correctly to the mobile site, unless someone here tells me that their particular phone is not redirected (maybe a Windows phone?).
    Please let me know what you think here> http://mojitosmexicangrill.com

Default Re: Mexican Restaurant with smartphone redirect

Good job. Even if the site did shrink to fit a cell phone you would have to scroll endlessly to see the content. Creating a small mobile size makes all the sense in the world.

Really like the colours, the background patterns don't detract from the easy to read text and the graphics are very good indeed.

On the contact form you cannot see the hint text under the form field for 'your name' I would suggest changing that to white text (if you're using jotform then under the inject custom css put the following code to make the sub-text white)

.form-sub-label {
    color: #ffffff;
    display: block;
    font-size: 9px;
    }

My only other suggestion is to fit the text in blocks/columns rather than have the text flow around photos (About us page), it just makes it easier to read as well as looking more professional.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like it I checked it on my windows phone and the redirect worked fine. Other than the things that Skech has already mentioned you did a nice job on both the standard and the mobile pages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for the critique from the VIP's of this forum. I am happy to hear the Windows version worked OK, thanks for the heads up. Now, we just need a whiz in here to come up with a solution to the 'locking' of the iPhone web page and maybe help us all create mobile website versions for our customers?

Hi andymack,

I just saw the mobile website, is a good website from beginning to end. I just finished a mobile website for a customer , but he wants a link to his main website, when i insert that link , it starts a loop between both websites, do you know how can i fix this?

Best regards,

Hi jhorta, I am glad you liked my website. The redirect loop is avoided simply by creating a separate landing page for when you are linked from the mobile site back to the main site. All I did was duplicate the index page and called it index2 or whatever you want. And make sure that if you navigate away from that page and then choose 'Home' again, that you not go to the normal 'Index' page or you will be sent to the mobile site IF on a mobile phone.

Easy to view and looks fabulous on my Windows phone, like it was made for it. The full size version on my home computer is even better. Great job!