Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What direction is Xara going?

So, I had a chance to go out a create some illustrations in Xara. After using Illustrator CS6 and DRAW X6, I have seen that Xara has really kind of fallen behind in terms of features. At least, they seem to have taken another direction.

I would really like to see Xara add features like vector color adjustments (see Corel's Color Style Pallet and AIs Recolor Artwork tool). I know you can assign color and THEN change them, but Adobe and Corel's method are MUCH better. You can make them at the end and to part or the entire illustration.

I'd like to see the ability to adjusting the width of a line like CS6. (See their Width tool).

Any idea if the developers are looking into adding those kinds of features?

-Bill

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: What direction is Xara going?

Xara doesn't make public what they may or may not be working on. None of us will know what may be in the next version till it comes out. Going by previous years that will probably be next summer sometime.

You are welcome to post your requests in the Dear Xara forum though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Bill - Post this comment in Dear Xara which is for bug reports and product feature suggestions.

I agree with you. Plus there are many old features which are way in need of updating.

Gosh, you know I really hope that Xara don't add all these feature requests that users of CorelDraw and Illustrator want..
    The price would double and many of us would no longer be able to afford to update

Steve that's you are being negative, I think, to two positive comments made by users. If Gary would think back to at time when he started to use this product it was way advanced to anything that either Corel or Adobe had to offer. It was so good that Corel bought xara and left it yours till they caught up and in the meantime Illustrator got slower and slower. Those days have changed and both programmes have developed and the colour handling in AI is the best there is and even DrawPlus is now better than Xara in many ways and cheaper too. Please don't scoff at other programmes let's try and develop the vector tools and the way the programme runs so that we don't have to use so many work arounds in our work.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Steve that's you are being negative, I think, to two positive comments made by users. If Gary would think back to at time when he started to use this product it was way advanced to anything that either Corel or Adobe had to offer. It was so good that Corel bought xara and left it yours till they caught up and in the meantime Illustrator got slower and slower. Those days have changed and both programmes have developed and the colour handling in AI is the best there is and even DrawPlus is now better than Xara in many ways and cheaper too. Please don't scoff at other programmes let's try and develop the vector tools and the way the programme runs so that we don't have to use so many work arounds in our work.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

You've totally misread me, Pete. The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with being negative or scoffing at other applications - ah well

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Xara doesn't make public what they may or may not be working on. None of us will know what may be in the next version till it comes out. Going by previous years that will probably be next summer sometime.

You are welcome to post your requests in the Dear Xara forum though.
    Thanks Gary. I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Gosh, you know I really hope that Xara don't add all these feature requests that users of CorelDraw and Illustrator want..
    The price would double and many of us would no longer be able to afford to update
    The Price has already gone way up, and that is only to add the so called "pro" features. And still it's not up to par with other programs. I don't mind the cost if a program that makes me money. Xara doesn't make me money. No customer I have ever had has asked me for a Xar file. I once read a post that said that Xara was more for web graphics. If you want an illustration program use something else. I am starting to agree. BUT, I still love the speed and ease of use Xara brings to the table. Plus, it's fun.

I find it kind of funny, and maybe it's the way that I word things, but even at the Corel and Illy sites I make suggestions and people get bent out of shape for dis'n "their" programs. We all want the best software possible and the only way to get there is to make suggestions. Otherwise all Xara knows is what people who like the program "as is" is telling them. (if that makes sense).

My original post was really to get any idea of the direction of Xara. I really loved Xara pre-graphics designer. Now, I am not so sure I care for it. Throw that pro stuff in there...not a big fan. I don't get a pro version of any other program.

Again, my point has been missed.
    I'm not scoffing, dis'n, knocking or rubbishing any other program, or even your good self for adding to the list of desired features.
    It's simple. More development equals more cost and the costs have to be passed on to the customer.
    I'm 100% certain that if a popular 'must have' feature of CD and/or AI can be added to Xara Designer Pro easily and without months and months of debugging, then they would do it
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 29 November 2012 at 12:33 PM.