Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to create clipping path?

Is there a tool to create clipping path in image? A path tool? To use saved path afterwards in a desktop publishing software like Scribus?
    Im using Xara Designer Pro X. No topics found in help(f1)...

Default Re: How to create clipping path?

No, sorry - you cannot export a PSD file from Xara with a clipping path included

you can clip the image in Xara and export it clipped

I'm not sure about this, but what if you use the drawing tools in DPX to create your path, (I should be a closed path) then export just the vector outline as Adobe Illustrator .ai? Or even PDF? Would that work? I have not used Scribus so I cannot comment on that product.

It is not necessary to be a PSD file. Paths can be saved even in JPG files.

Ok, the question backwards:
    How can i get cutout, free standing element of the image in Xara? Like here: http://0.tqn.com/d/desktoppub/1/5/g/N/clip-step1.jpg ?
    Or how to change a background in Xara?

might be better to use SVG - the Scribus manual is a bit ambivalent about AI/PDF support

however, a vector outline object is not a clipping path - maybe it could be used to set up a clipping mask, maybe not, depends on the program I guess

kukans - See this Workbook article. http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook36/page_4.htm

Or if you have a lot of patience, you can try the new Color Select/Erase Tool which is found in the Photo Tool fly out menu. This tool lets you select a color or a range of colors to erase. But it really works best with images with very differentiated colored backgrounds, such as dropping out a solid color background.

I agree with Gary here just use the shape editor and go around the graphic that you want to clip and then once you have an enclosed path around the graphic select both and hit the Q key. I would use the Photo tool first to clip around the graphic if it is large and the area you want to use is smaller.
    Design is thinking made visual.

fine

you clip a photo in xara

do you create a clipping path - no you do not

come on guys.. you both know what a clliping path is.. right?

Xara's Clipview is a clipping path, technically.
    What Gary and Peter suggest appears to be what the OP wants (as shown in post#4), which is a clipping path created via a closed vector shape..
    In other software you might refer to this process as 'knocking out' (an object from the background)

post #4 is new to me [I don't recall seeing it when I posted directly afterwards - cache playing up again maybe]

ok - and yes xara's clipview is a clipping path, but whether it will import into scribus is a good question