Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Text selection

Default Text selection

Hello

I'am kind of stuck on something here...

I can't seem to find a way to resolve my problem, hope you guys do .

If you try to select the main text on this page, ( http://www.thomas-timmers.be/ddi/ ) it almost automatically selects all near irrelevant objects if you move your mouse up or down. I'am experiencing this with almost all of the pages I created in Xara. Is there a way to fix this or to make the selection more accurate?

Thanks!

Default Re: Text selection

This is more of an HTML issue and the way the position of objects on the page are specified by the code.

If you can get the text cursor inserted to the left of the first word in the paragraph, you can hold down the Shift key and use the right arrow key to highlight the text. It takes a little time but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    This is more of an HTML issue and the way the position of objects on the page are specified by the code.
    As Gary mentions, it's a HTML issue and not strictly a Xara one.
    The reason is the <span tags.
    To overcome this select your text areas and give them the HTMLBlockText name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	htmlblocktext.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	93018  

Thanks Gary. This improved the accuracy for the selection although its not totally resolved but that's not necessary. I supose the visitors won't make a big deal of it I'm a kind of a perfectionist.

Maybe you noticed that I customized the selection color instead of the standard blue. I needed to do this trough putting in some css code in the head of the page. It's maybe a good idea to build a tweak for this?

Good idea Thomas - You should post your suggestion in the Dear Xara Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Maybe you noticed that I customized the selection color instead of the standard blue. I needed to do this trough putting in some css code in the head of the page. It's maybe a good idea to build a tweak for this?
    It is not necessary to add custom CSS to change your hover links to red (or any other colour). You can have any colour links you like by using the tools provided within the program.
    See Web Properties>>Website>>Website link colors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	links.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	93035  

Yes, but I'm not talking about a custom 'link hover color'. What I mean is for example: when a user wishes to select the text on my page, he has to select it. The standard textselect color on all browsers is blue. And as you can see, I customized this color to red bg and white text color.

Oh I see.
    The standard practice is a placeholder for custom code or for newer versions code is added to the head section of the website tab in Web Properties, which I assume you have done
    That's better than any tweak could do.