Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem opening a TIFF file in Xara Designer Pro 7

Hi, all. I'm putting the finishing touches on a painting I've been working on using PSE4 and Xara Pro 7, and I've run into a problem: Xara won't open the image. The image is in TIFF. The error code I get is this: 0ee3d87d-4061-4c60-ad08-89d82ea87ffc. I've been able to open previous versions of the image in Xara. This image has a lot more detail, so I wonder if file size is this issue? Thank you so much for any advice you can offer.

Default Re: Problem opening a TIFF file in Xara Designer Pro 7

Hi there

is there a particular reason that you are using TIFF?

you could always try a PNG, making sure you export it [from PSE4?] at the correct dpi...

EDIT - might be better to use 'save' from PSE4 rather than 'export' for a PNG - don't have that version...

You can also try PSD file format if that is an option.

could certainly try that

if you do, it will import the file in layers - if there is only one no problem, otherwise you may not want multiple layers in xara and therefore may need to make a PSE copy/duplicate first, and flatten it to the one layer before saving to PSD

also not all PSE/D layers are supported by xara, clipping layers being a prime example, another reason to flatten first

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    could certainly try that

if you do, it will import the file in layers - if there is only one no problem, otherwise you may not want multiple layers in xara and therefore may need to make a PSE copy/duplicate first, and flatten it to the one layer before saving to PSD

also not all PSE/D layers are supported by xara, clipping layers being a prime example, another reason to flatten first
    So my best bet is to flatten the image and save it in PSD, THEN export it to Xara?

Layers are preserved when saving in PSD format, that's not the case with TIFF or PNG which will both be saved from PSE as a single layer file.

On the basis that you are quite happy with a single layer file:

PSD may actually not be much smaller than the TIFF particularly if it includes the layers, so if you don't need them you can try with a flattened copy of your PSE image.

Has to be said a flattened PSD will still be larger than the PNG though, so you may wish to try that first.

Do not use JPEG [or GIF] or you will risk losing quality in your image.