Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: EPS File help!

Default EPS File help!

Hi All,

my graphics designer and I are pulling our hair out over this one and so given we've exhausted all our own mental possibilities thought we'd see if there's a forum collective thought we have thought of yet!

So the situation is this:

In the past I used to use an overseas graphics designer and he would send me EPS files which I could open in Xara and play around with to my hearts content.

My new graphics designer who is local to me has sent me EPS files and I cannot open a single one of them. Each EPS file keeps coming up with an error such as "Error detected in EPS file at line 9135 [13]"

Originally, our thinking was that the reason I could open my overseas graphics designer EPS file was because he saved them in Windows encoding whereas my local designer guy saved his EPS file as MacOS encoding [I use windows]. So at his expense, my local graphics designer guy has paid someone else to save the EPS file he developed with Windows encoding and I'm still getting the error message above and cannot use the file in Xara.

I'd like to attach both files from both designers [but the files are two large for this post] above to see if you could please help me in finding an answer to this conundrum as I'd really like to use a graphics designer local to me but won't be able to if my PC and Xara software can't read his files - so any help you can provide in reply without seeing the actual files would be fab!

Thanks for your help
    Autoevo

Default Re: EPS File help!

Sorry moderators! I thought I put this within the graphics section of TalkGraphics rather than the websection. Please feel free to move the thread if needs be!

Have your new designer save the file as PDF, or you can simply rename it yourself. Newer versions of Illustrator actually use PDF file format and give it an EPS filename extension.

Use Notepad to open the EPS file and you can read the header and see if it is PDF or EPS.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,

thanks for this. The problem I face with the artwork when I open it as PDF in MX Premium I lose all the colours that are in the artwork.... is there a way around this? I've copied what comes up in Wordpad as the header. It looks to me like it's saved as an EPS file rather than a PDF with an EPS extension.... unless you can see differently?

___I_________I__J____%!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0
    %ADO_DSC_Encoding: MacOS Roman
    %%Title: 2012-894 Mobile Remap Bus card V5_1.eps
    %%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 16.1
    %%For: Darren Guiheen
    %%CreationDate: 01/11/2012
    %%BoundingBox: 0 0 241 148
    %%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 240.9454 147.2149
    %%CropBox: 0 0 240.9454 147.2149
    %%LanguageLevel: 2
    %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
    %ADOBeginClientInjection: DocumentHeader "AI11EPS"
    %%AI8_CreatorVersion: 16.1.0
    %AI9_PrintingDataBegin
    %ADO_BuildNumber: Adobe Illustrator(R) 16.1.0 x714 R agm 4.6676 ct 5.2594
    %ADO_ContainsXMP: MainFirst
    %AI7_Thumbnail: 128 80 8
    %%BeginData: 16592 Hex Bytes

Thanks for your help!

It looks as though it was created in Adobe Illustrator version 16 but was saved as version 11. I don't keep up with Adobe version numbers so I'm not sure what CS2 would be, that is the most recent version that Xara Designer Pro X will import.

What Xara version are you using? Do you use the Import dialog and select a specific file type when importing your .eps file? Doing so, especially with .eps files, works better than any other method I have found.
    Last edited by Soquili; 05 November 2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Why don't you upload your file into the clouds or drop box or something like that and see if the members can open it in Illy and then save it as a Legacy file version 8 then you will be able to open it. Trouble with .eps files is that Adobe included the ability to allow more effects to be shown and although the import filters have bee improved they are not up to the very new versions produced in AI from CS5 and upwards. If your file is very small you may be able to upload it to T.G. but it would need to be under 500 K but any way just post a link to the file and we could have a shot at opening it up for you.
    Design is thinking made visual.