Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Windows XP anyone?

I have not tried Windows 8 yet. I will get it installed on my next new computer.

But from what I have seen, it is breakthrough and will usher in a new way of working on computers. And suddenly it makes Mac OS look old and out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    suddenly it makes Mac OS look old and out of date.
    A bold claim indeed!

I'll be looking forward to your review of windows 8 on talkgraphics once you've had a chance to try it out!

So said Gary with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek...

Myself, when I replace my aging desktop with a new PC and it has Win8 on it, then I still won't care. I seriously doubt there will be a productivity hit.

Mike

Don't imagine I'm agin Windows 8. It's all good.

The Beta releases for Windows 8 were radically different from Windows 7, however it appears Microsoft has realized their mistakes and have made the release version less radical: http://www.crn.com/news/applications...e-everyone.htm

Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise editions will now be compatible with existing corporate networks and easily deployed within them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have Windows 7.5 on my Nokia Lumea 710 and it has the same look as Windows 8. I like the simplicity of the icons and the overall page design. It will be interesting to see the Xara implementation of the new OS.

Dell has designed a convertible Ultrabook XPS Duo 12 that is a notebook and tablet that takes advantage of the touch screen option.

Mike, I'm not joking. I will be buying a new DELL at the end of the year with Windows 8. I spend most of the day on the computer. I don't mind upgrading every two or three years. My computer always pays for itself. I'm thinking along the lines of the XPS 8500. And I'll buy from Costco instead of Dell because they offer a really good package deal to their members. I'm keeping my Ultra Sharp 24 monitor.

Funny you should say that Gary, I've just bought 2 XPS 8500s, one for me and one for my wife.....I'll let you know how it goes with Pro X
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I will be buying a new DELL at the end of the year with Windows 8. I spend most of the day on the computer. I don't mind upgrading every two or three years. My computer always pays for itself. I'm thinking along the lines of the XPS 8500. And I'll buy from Costco instead of Dell because they offer a really good package deal to their members. I'm keeping my Ultra Sharp 24 monitor.
    With you 100% on the XPS 8500 and the 24" Ultrsharp as I have recently bought exactly those items and I'm very happy. I'm also happy that it came with Windows 7 (with the option to upgrade later). And that's the way it's staying until at least SP1 of Windows 8 comes around. I'll also be reading the reviews closely too. I don't like the look of the UI from what I've seen so far to be honest. And having past had Windows 2000 and Vista I'm determined not to make any more mistakes with Microsoft operating systems.

You can turn off the W8 GUI and revert to a W7 functionality. A lot of the W8 stuff requires a touch screen anyway from what I understand.