Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much is enough?

I'm going to buy a new computer towards the end of the year.

Costco, has really good packages on DELL desktop computers which is what I have had forever.

They have one computer that has 32GB RAM, another package 24GB and another 16GB. The other components are pretty much the same for each package, 256GB SSD, 2TB hard drive, and other good stuff.

How much RAM do I really need?

Default Re: How much is enough?

I am assuming a 64-bit OS...

How many 64-bit applications do you presently have? How many do you plan to have before this computer will be replaced? Above about 8 gigs of memory, there is little to be gained in the way of running 32-bit applications. If you get a new computer say every 4 years, that's a lot of time for technology to advance and for applications to catch up in the way of being 64-bit. Of your choices above, 16 gig ought to be enough for a four-year cycle. If there is not much difference in price going from the 16 gig to the 24 gig version, why not go for that one? And likewise to the 32 gig version.

Take care, Mike

Gary if there is not much difference in price go for the most RAM available.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

..and there was I with my 2006 Dell laptop and 3GB of memory and never having an issue with memory. Now the happy (actually delighted) owner of a MacBook Pro with 8GB of memory and I have yet to see the memory actively used beyond 4GB.

16GB, 24GB. Way OTT if you ask me - more about pandering to the bragging rights of the purchaser than actual utility.

I remember years ago, being at a commercial printers where his technician was demonstrating the things he could do with Photoshop, and how it was going to change the industry. He bragged about his workstation having 32MB of RAM. Back then this was pretty much unheard of.

Where I need the memory, and as Mike points out, this is only going to be important with 64-bit applications, is when I have to create a stereogram poster that is 4 x 3 feet and at 300dpi. We are getting more and more requests from clients who want this and currently, I have to work half size, then use SmillaEnlarger to double the resolution. It does a credible job and perhaps it's good enough, but I would like to be able to work at actual size and resolution.

Gary, when you start quoting the spec of your machine in your sig, then I'll be worried.. ;-)

There's not enough room.

You clearly will need a 64-bit sig..

I would go for as much RAM as you can get. Over the last fifty years I cannot remember how many times someone has said "I am never going to need more than that". And that is going from a first generation machine with 4k of 32 bit words.
    And I watched as the PC designers made all the same mistakes as the mainframe designers had made as far as address space went.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

The good thing about desktops is that RAM is easy to upgrade and third party upgrades are generally cheaper than factory fitted.

I understand the sentiment about RAM, but in a few years time the RAM may or may not be looking low, but the processor most likely will be the weaker link.

My Dell laptop has served very well and is still perfectly usable - it's achilles heel was the graphics card (not modern enough to be properly supported by CS6), followed closely by the processor (could not run 64-bit windows) and the display.

I wouldn't bust a gut to max out on RAM (unless cost is unimportant) - it may be something that results in little or no benefit.

I have yet to hear anyone complain that 8GB of memory was limiting, so I can't see how 16GB would be an issue and I think you'd need to be doing some heavy duty stuff to be crunching 24GB.

Just how does the iPad cope?!