Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What is best font to use?

I just took a look at the website and it was better than I expected from the questions!

The black on white high contrast is a bit strong in places and I've avoided reading the copy.

One thing I do dislike on the site is the text justification - I don't like fully-justified text padding out regular columns and next worst is centralised columns of text, so in my inexpert opinion, that would be my first call, but others may have a different view.

Your business was a surprise!

From a "modern" graphic design standpoint, which typography goes best with Tenor Sans? Thoughts on Droid Sans / Gill Sans / PT Sans / Lucinda Sans / Other? Is Verdana or Ariel too old school for sites wanting to be modern?

Just to add something. I am not a great fan of fully justified text and to me the spacing of words is too hit and miss. There are large gaps in your text and for me makes it harder to read and just doesn't look right. It may look neat and tidy but for me it would be left justified.

I'll work on the text to make the paragraphs tighter. For now, does the Tenor Sans look ok (not too grainy) or should it really be changed? I also updated the background in hopes it would be a bit softer and less "intrusive".

I totally agree with Miko. Fully justified text is OK for large blocks of text with a wide measure but your short paragraphs at the top of the page would look much better left justified.

Hi Rob—

By "too grainy", do you mean the anti-aliasing? If so, that's a function of the browser, and you don't really have control over what the audience sees on all devices (desktop, mobile, tablets, and so on).

The full justification is problematic with pages that don't use responsive web design; in English, if you scale your browser and your page gets scroll bars instead of dynamically resizing text blocks and graphics, its' not a responsive page and you'll get what's called "rivers" in fully justified text. Your top page columns are very short and as Miko and Gary P. advise, left justified will result in a cleaner, more quickly read look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivers.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	94404

The Tenor Sans is a very nice Roman sans serif font. It remind me a lot of Optima (in case you need other weights of typeface for your pages), and there are fonts similar and compatible that are a little more condensed, such as Britannic, Imperial, and The Font Bureau has something called Roxy that would be a good headline variation off Tenor Sans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other fonts.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	94405

This is all providing you have the budget for licensing additional fonts, of course.

My Best,

Gary