Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: PROFESSIONAL Editor Required

If the issue is the abscence of the feature in Office 2010 you can install MODI: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

squirrel
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi Mark, welcome to TalkGraphics. Like the others, I'm not exactly sure what it is you want to replace.

If by chance you are looking to replace Microsoft Expression Design then you should go to Xara.com and download a trial version of Xara Designer Pro. Xara Designer Pro is a vector drawing tool similar to Expression Design, and Xara Designer Pro also works with bitmap and can use most Photoshop standard plugins. It can also be used to make web pages. Xara will import/export PDF and does support XPS.

Xara Designer is a well rounded graphics design program - mostly a create from scratch or make edits to existing digital artwork and is not a document management program like Nuances PaperPort or a high end scanner front end/OCR tool like Hamrick Software's VueScan. Are you looking for a creation tool? Or a management tool?

If we are all off the mark here in understanding your graphics software needs are, please let us know what you want to do, - what job or need your are trying to fill instead of a feature set you are looking for. For example are you trying to go paperless? Are you trying to archive and file documents or image. Are you doing document ocr or restoration? Are you trying to tag and catalog a large collection of existing images using their metadate ? Are you trying to create new images? Are you trying to capture images?
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Reading the first post I don't see the application being vector based

reference is made to selection by pixels, and as far as I can see 'vector' is only mentioned once as in respect of a 'vector layer' as opposed, presumably, to a 'normal' [ie raster] layer - in otherwords, its a 'photoshop style' requirement ... as the last but one paragraph tends to confirm

also Expression studio 4 mainstream support continues until september 2015, extended until september 2020 - it is not about to be shut down

@Mark

I am not sure what you mean by this:

things are going downhill in the direction of the German (err ... Adobe) cat house
    but, together with some things you said in post #1, it does make me think that maybe Frank has a point

... I see Mark has xara photo and graphic designer 2013 in his profile...