Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Out of Memory prompt

The last 2 times I've published my website, with changes, I've gotten an "Out of Memory" prompt. What does that mean? How do I fix it? Thank you for any help you can give.

Default Re: Out of Memory prompt

Do you have a lot of photos on your site?

If so, go to the Utilities menu and select Optimize all JPEGs and see if this helps.

Thank you gwpriester,

I tried it and it said it optimized 14 and left 11 alone. The picture that wasn't coming up online did come up, but I still got the "Out of Memory" prompt. I changed the dpi to 200. I also have no idea what I'm doing. Any other suggestions would be great. Thank you.

The dpi should be 96dpi, Windows screen resolution. At 200 dpi the images will appear about twice as big on the screen.

Because pixels are a fixed unit, at 96dpi you are viewing an image 1:1. If you increase the resolution, the detail does not get sharper, the image just gets larger (and the file size gets larger).

DPI could be 6000 dpi and it would mean nothing on the web.

What does matter are the pixel dimensions. So if one brings a 2500px X 1300px image--even if it is 96 dpi--and resizes it down to say 640px X 320px, they should right-click and make a bitmap copy and toss away the original (delete it from Xara). The work Xara has to do is far less, thus saving memory. (I'll leave alone what the effective DPI Xara reports alone for such an image.)

Leaving Xara to do the image resampling on a site with X number of such images might be causing such memory issues.

My two centavos for the day.

Take care, Mike

Mike and gwpriester,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try what you said, Mike. I think I can follow it. If I have questions, should I ask them here or is there a way to contact people individually on this site? Thank you again.

Sincerely,

David-skippi4

Not to confuse the issue more than it is.

Windows computers (90+% of all computers) display images at 96dpi. Mac's display images at 72dpi.

For sake of illustration, I just imported a high resolution bitmap into Xara and resized the image to 400 x 320 pixels. (The pixel size of the image is 6000 x 4800).

Yes, Xara will re-sample this image to 96dpi on publish. And at that size the file size for the image will be about 65K. The image itself is about 12MB.

But, if you do not select Optimize all JPEGs, Xara will save the image at it's original size. So if you have 20 similar images, you can have about 240MB of images in your Xara document, and these large images consume system resources (Memory). This can slow down your performance and cause problems when you go to publish your site.

When you close down Xara, if you have optimized all JPEGs, then only the re-sampled images are saved in the file.

So in my example above, the file size of the optimized images included in document and found in the Bitmap Gallery reduces from 240 MB to to a few bytes over 1,12 MB

If you are not doing print work, then there is no need to weigh down Xara with high resolution images and I think if you Optimize your images this you will resolve your out of memory problem.

If you click on a member's user name, next to their avatar, select Profile, you can send a private message or in some cases an e-mail.

Thanks to all of you. I'm trying to make changes to the site to relieve this problem. In speaking to someone, I've now got another question about the prompt. Does "Out of Memory" mean that Web Designer 6.0 sees the file as too big? Or, is it the amount of RAM that the hosting site is using to upload it? If it's Web Designer 6.0, then what is the largest the site can get memory wise? Just curious. Thanks.

I suspect that the out of memory problem is yours and not the web host. A lot of this depends on your computer and how much memory you have as well as how many other applications + processes are running at the same time. A lot of applications have processes running all the time that can eat up available memory.

Can you connect to your web host via an FTP program such as Filezilla. This might solve some of these problems.

Publish your website to a folder on your desktop instead of to your web host.

Then use Filezilla to move your files from your computer to the web host (do not publish the folder itself, publish the contents).

Thank you so much.