Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default saving configuration

Good evening, at least it is here. I used to know how to save my X5 configuration (screen layout, options settings etc.) by saving some registry entries. I've forgotten how to do that. I'm using 7 (not pro) now, can somebody refresh me about how to do that again?

Default Re: saving configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    Good evening, at least it is here. I used to know how to save my X5 configuration (screen layout, options settings etc.) by saving some registry entries. I've forgotten how to do that. I'm using 7 (not pro) now, can somebody refresh me about how to do that again?
    Set out what you want your config. to be in Xara then go to File, Save Template As, give it a name and tick the box make as default template if you want your new page to open every time you open DPG7.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenCapture.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	92296  

Hi Stygg, your default template only saves the page and what you place on it, objects, colour palettes, rulers etc. It does not save your screen setup, toolbars, etc.

There should, with a bit of luck in the furture, be an option to have a "Save Workspace" button. That would help a lot since this subject of saving and restoring a favoured workspace has come up on TG for at least 10 years and still there's not a handy all-in-one solution.

I just save my Xara registry key. That way in the event of a major crash I can reinstall both the program and the toolbars setup. What's a shame is that, with the development of new options in new versions, it's not something that you can port over to a new version (if you do, you can get some very weird effects!), so the very first thing a lot of us do here once we have downloaded and installed a new version is to spend however long it takes to get it into shape. It's something that would really, really make upgrading so much more user-friendly. I expect that every experienced Xartist has a screen layout that is totally unique and laid out to suit his or her personal needs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	registry.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	92301
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks for that Frank, I was not to sure what GMS9810 wanted so I played it safe by just showing save template.

Stygg

I know how to make templates and default templates. I need to know how to save the buttons and bar layout. It's a matter of saving certain registry keys.

yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Frank. I'll make a point of not forgetting it again.