Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yorkshire Coble (Pro Cobble) Fishing Boat

The yorkshire coble (pro cobble) is a fishing boat unique to the north east coast of England. Many peopls say the shape has evolved from the Viking boats. The one I have drawn is of a sailing coble which for a fishing boat were quite fast and could easily beat the first boats to be fitted engines, to the fishing grounds. The sail is a "dipping lug sail" which when tacking had to be lowered and put to the other side of the mast.
    They were designed to be launched off the shallow sandy beaches and were beached stern first hence the flat bottomed shape of the stern. The long rudder is to counteract the shallow stern and the deep forefoot in heavy seas to stop them broaching and capsizing.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coble.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	92242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sailing coble.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	92243  

Last edited by Barbara B; 19 September 2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Renamed to describe this nice piece of artwrok

Default Re: Trying again

The boat on the water just doesn't look right to me. I think it may be that there wouldn't be quite a clean and straight line where the water meets the boat.

But, the drawing of the boat is very good indeed.
    Are boats a bit bit of a passion with you?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    The boat on the water just doesn't look right to me. I think it may be that there wouldn't be quite a clean and straight line where the water meets the boat.

But, the drawing of the boat is very good indeed.
    Are boats a bit bit of a passion with you?
    I am retired now but i am a shipwright and boatbuilder by trade and this type of boat was built in the yard where i worked in the late 1950s. They were more modern boats fitted with diesel engines
    I aggree it looks not quite right but i am still trying to get perspective right. Also you will notice ther are no crew as I have not attempted to draw people yet. But will keep trying.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

Welcome to TG Mike. You are off to a great start. Xara has many tools to help create the effect that you are looking for. I put your boat on the water using the transparency tool to create some reflections. I have attached the file for you to have a look at how some of the tools work. You can take it apart to see how this effect was created. You have done a fine job and i look forward to seeing more of your work.

I hope this is of help to you.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat test.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	92247  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lovely boat drawing, Mike
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

yes very nice drawing Mike

as far as the placement in the photo goes - it's too high in the water; it could also do with some pitch/roll, although that would need to be adjusted again when you put people in it - at the moment in looks like it is stuck on a sandbank just beneath the surface

Mike,

Welcome to TG Mike. I like your boat very much. I am thrilled that you also included some history of the boat and what it is/was used for. By sharing your first hand knowledge of the construction of this kind of boat with your artwork and description, you are helping not only to save a bit of historical boat building lore but also helping to put it in context for us landlubbers.

What does coble or cobble mean in the name? That looks like an interesting word.

How long would a boat like that be? I don't see any living quarters, so would this be a boat that came back to shore daily? How large a crew would a boat like this need to successfully sail and catch fish?

Cheers from a person who went bluefishing in NJ once and spent most of the time desperately seasick.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: Yorkshire Coble (Pro Cobble) Fishing Boat

Well done Mike.
    ron
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Yorkshire Coble (Pro Cobble) Fishing Boat

Welcome to TG.
    Nice boat. I prefer the one of the boat on its own, as others have said the one with the water just dosen't sit right, Its a challenge to meld a drawn object with a photograph in this way to make it look as though it belongs, I'm sure you will get there.
    Derek

Hi Barbara B.
    Thanks for comments.
    I don't know where the name coble originated but it looks as though it should be pronounced cobble. I am retired now but I served my apprenticeship as a shipwright and boatbuilder in the late 1950s and early 1960s building wooden inshore trawlers and small boats. It is a dying trade now as most small boats are now fibreglass.
    The one I have drawn is of a 24ft in length but there were larger ones. They were open boats with a crew of two or three and mainly went out long lining and potting. They were hardy men and could be at sea for two or three days especially if the were caught out in bad weather and had to sit it out offshore until it was safe enough to beach the boat.
    Sorry you were seasick on your fishing trip. I can sympathize with you have suffered the same fate on quite a few occasions.
    Kind regards.
    Mike