Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Uploading the entire site

I have recently made a change to my website. I then uploaded it online. Later, I went back to see one of the pages, and the changes I made weren't there. I bounced around my site and went back to the page, and the changes were there. Hours later, I went back to that page, and the changes were gone again, until I bounced around the site some. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Default Re: Uploading the entire site

It sounds like the page is cached and so you are not seeing the new changes. Press F5 or Ctrl + F5 to refresh the page.

Another thing that can happen is if you saved your site initially as index.html and then republished as index.htm, the browser if it sees two index files, will always load html before htm, even if the htm version is newer.

Thank you. How do I fix the saving as the proper one?

I would either delete the server files that are not needed or, if you cannot determine which ones need deleting, delete all the files in the folder and re-upload.

In WDMX this can be done under web properties - explore web space. If your version does not have this facility then take a look at Filezilla for managing your server files.

Thank you, I'll try that.

CTRL-F5 is good, but I came across a strange one yesterday. However many times I force-refreshed the site, one picture refused to update (it was actually an image in the MouseOver layer of a navbar button. Hovering over that button produced a small image of someone's face from an abandoned jpg file).

Solution: Point to the offending button and open tools > view source (Google Chrome). Identify the pic (Src="path.../filename") and click the link to open it in a new window. The rogue picture appeared. CTRL-F5 to force a refresh, up comes the correct pic. Back to the website and everything fixed.

I suppose it could have been because the MouseOver layer was not actually showing during the refresh, but the link was most certainly there in the code so you'd think it would update automatically. Weird things, these caches.