Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question How do I preserve EXIF data in P&GD 2013 exports?

Hi,

One of P&GD2013's new features was supposed to be preservation of EXIF data when editing JPGs. I'm having trouble discovering when this happens.

For instance, when I open a photo, use MagicErase to remove a lamppost, flatten the group and then export/save it back to the original, all my efforts so far have resulted in the loss of the original EXIF data.

Is there a way to preserve EXIF data after editing (in any way) the original photo?

TIA

Default Re: How do I preserve EXIF data in P&GD 2013 exports?

have you installed the latest update to the program [8.1.2.23228] ?
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 August 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: 8.1.2.23228
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Brian, using the Magic Erase seems to wipe out the EXIF data. Other types of edits I performed retained the EXIF information.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    have you installed the latest update to the program [8.1.2.23228] ?
    Yes, I think I'm all up-to-date.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Brian, using the Magic Erase seems to wipe out the EXIF data. Other types of edits I performed retained the EXIF information.
    Yes, although Magic Erasing even a tiny area also erases EXIF, actions such as 'destructive' as Content-Aware Resizing will keep EXIF intact.

I've also noticed that the EXIF dialog box sometimes loses the EXIF data until you close & reopen it. I wonder if that's had a hand in losing my data?

I'll have to do some more tests.

ok I've nothing more to add except maybe, despite the update and bearing in mind what Bill said, it still isn't workig as we would like? It's not something I use myself.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok I've nothing more to add except maybe, despite the update and bearing in mind what Bill said, it still isn't workig as we would like? It's not something I use myself.
    I think that's right; if preserving the EXIF is a feature, it should apply to all edits.

As to how often I use it... well, I seem to be forever taking photos with inappropriate backgrounds!

Thanks.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm just guessing here but I believe that the exif data is lost because cloning and Magic Erase is a type of cloning creates a group, and the data doesn't seem to be able to be kept in the group. When you flatten the group the program is creating a new photo, so no Exif data is there.

I usually keep copies of my original untouched photos for referring to the exif data, I very seldom open the photo but rather drag and drop from explorer into an open Xara doc (not the blank photo) this way I'm working on a duplicate and my original remains on my hard drive untouched.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    When you flatten the group the program is creating a new photo, so no Exif data is there.
    True, but when I export a something as a JPG, and choose to overwrite an existing JPG file, it would be nice if Xara could provide an option to preserve the EXIF from the file being overwritten. In the Settings dialog, for instance.

I usually keep copies of my original untouched photos for referring to the exif data, I very seldom open the photo but rather drag and drop from explorer into an open Xara doc (not the blank photo) this way I'm working on a duplicate and my original remains on my hard drive untouched.
    I do keep a few photos as originals, but most of the photos which I modify, I would like to stay modified. I really DON'T want to see that tree seemingly growing out of someone's head or that miniature cow in the background apparently looking into someone's open mouth!

On the other hand, I really DO want to know that a particular photo was taken with my wife's Fuji F31 or that it was taken on 24-Aug-1012 at 08:45

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree that the ability to choose whether to keep the Exif data would be nice to have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.