Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Bar

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Gold Bar

I have been experimenting with Paul's technique for creating metalic effects with extrusions and added to it to create this effect. This gold bar was created by first creating rectangle then the text then I created some overlays for the text to provide shading and highlights. I grouped all this and extruded it and used paul's idea of light colours and angles to create a basic gold bar. however the stamped/engraved text still looked flat because it wasn't extruded so the extrusion lights don't effect it so this is where my addition to the technique comes in!

I embossed the extruded bar The embossing feature in Xara is actually a very good one and you have a lot of control over how the light effects the embossing. you can change the colour, direction and angle of the light. you also have controls for depth, shine, reflection, and smoothness. And like all of Xara's live effects you can change the resolution it is applied at on the info bar and it is live so it is very useful! The extra shading and highlights I added were picked up by the embossing filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold bar.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	91785  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Gold Bar

Here is another extruded and embossed piece. For this one because I needed to put the engraving on the side of the extrusion rather than the face I used the mold tool to mold the engraving groups. And I used another technique on this one, the embossing filter picks up all the edges and where there are colours blending around the highlights of the extrusion you will get unwanted banding. To rectify this I applied a gaussian blur to the extrusion only (this is where it is a good thing to have the engraving and the extrusion separate) You dont want to overdo the blur I set it at 3 for this ring.

Name:	gold ring.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	91786  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Looks like real gold to me.

Please e-mail some to me, just a couple of ounces please.

Looks like a tut to me.

I would love to apply this finish to some future projects.

Tim

My husband made pretty much the same joke!

I could do a tutorial, maybe a video on the ring
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excellent work! I love the ring. Great job. please share more on how you did the ring.

Here is a gold bar extruded including text. Do not group before extruding but keep both selected when extruding so both keep the same the same settings during the extrude process. now you can edit the lighting for the bar and text separately. I used some gradient on the shapes before extruding. I attached the working file if you are interested on how i put it together. It could use more yellow but it good enuff for a sample.

Note: you can also cut the text out of the shape to make it look inverted or engraved. let me know if this helps.

Again, great job.

Name:	gold bar.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	91789  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good drawing of the Gold Bar, Frances.
    But, I can't see how the reflection would be tilted, the way you've shown it?

The Ring is very nice.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I think that she is working on the lighting and doing a fine job i might add. you can flip the extruded bar and reset the extrude to the proper setting for the reflection like the one i attached. could be better, but good enough for demonstration.

This one I cut the text out of the bar as mentioned in my above note.

Name:	gold bar2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	91792  

I picked colours from photos of real gold bars for the base colour, the extrusion lights and the embossing effects.

@ Rik you are right about the reflection, I originally had my gold bar tilted and when I straightened it I forgot to straighten the reflection.

Here is another ring that my daughter asked me if I could do

Edit: it has come to my attention that I forgot there should be an inscription on the inside of the ring as well so I have added that.

Name:	One Ring.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	91793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	One Ring.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	91801  

Last edited by angelize; 27 August 2012 at 02:37 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm sorry, Frances.
    This is not very good at all.

You've got 2 rings here.
    There was only "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

Joking aside, beautifully done.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Good gold effect you've created, Frances.