Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default problem with custom brushes

I'm using my new Xara Designer Pro X and trying to see if I can do a tut with it. I'm doing the Fractal Tree using LSVG and have run into a problem with brushes. I loaded a couple of home-made brushes and then all of a sudden, the brush display just went out on me. I'm trying to load the leaf brush for the tut. Can you tell me what could be causing this (See screenshot)? I hope it's not a problem with my software.

Thanks,
    pslane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara20.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	91650  

Default Re: problem with custom brushes

Dunno. But sometimes when weird stuff like this happens, I shut down the program and restart it. It often cures a multitude of oddnesses.

This happened last night and I thought the same thing. Opened it today and same old thing.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Can you tell us step by step what you did when this happened? Did you load the brushes simply by opening the file or did you try adding them to the brushes folder in the program files? If you have tried adding brushes to the program files brushes folder that could possibly have caused this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

You know, I think I must have had my "leaves" in the wrong format. Maybe they needed to be converted to shapes or something. I started over with the leaves and changed a few things and this time it went into the brushes box. yea.

Problem now is I can't get the leaves on the tree to change color! Is there something that has to be done or undone to make the colors work? I'm going to start the whole thing over, I think. I have to conquer this!

Oh, you asked what I did: I made 2 green ellipse's for leaves, selected them and went to brush tool/create brush/named it and clicked on ok. It took forever to load and then it was not in the list of brushes. A couple of times it crashed while I was trying to open the brushes. So next time I made the leaves, I made sure to convert to shapes so I think that was the problem because it loaded no problem. Thanks.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

you need to use a named colour for your brush objects, I usually create a colour and name it brush. Then you should be able to change brush colours by selecting a colour from the colourline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I did finally get this done with just a few flaws. The problem with the colors turned out to be the same as the brush. I needed to convert it in order to change the color. That tut was sorta hard for a newbie because alot of steps were left out, assuming that the reader knew more than I did. But it was a good workout.

Thanks
    pslane

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    you need to use a named colour for your brush objects, I usually create a colour and name it brush. Then you should be able to change brush colours by selecting a colour from the colourline.
    That's interesting Frances. I have a dickens of a time getting my brush to change color even after creating a named color. Usually it works fine until I save the brush and try to change the color, then it just won't. Got any tips on creating a color changing brush?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This happens to me as well! can't change colour.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi,
    Did you edit the 'brush' after creating? and choose "fill properties>named colors"....just an thought...
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card