Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using multiple graphics programs to create artwork

I'm not exactly sure where this post belongs, but I'll try here...
    Lately, as I become more acquainted with Illustrator and Photoshop, I have been using both programs in conjunction with XDP 8 to add more spice to my work.
    I prefer vector graphics to raster output, and I have found that Photoshop can be used in the process of making vectors.

In the attached graphic I started with two separate photos, one of some carrots and another of some tomatoes. The result is quite different from the original photos.
    Having removed the unwanted backgrounds using Photoshop (magic wand), I then used the blur filter to reduce the amount of detail in the photos. Then I used the posterize effect.

Moving on to Illustrator (CS6) I placed the 2 photos into a new file and performed the image trace function using the preset for 16 colours. After expanding the results, I placed the carrots in front of the tomatoes, then grouped everything and cut to the clipboard.

In XDP I pasted the metafile into a new file, cloned it twice to remove the outlines around all the shapes that resulted from the image trace, grouped everything and placed the vegetables on a light yellow background then clipped the result inside an ellipse. Then XDP 8 was used to complete the project with the addition of text and contours. I was pleased with the non-photographic appearance and the fact that this vector result didn't have the clean and sharp look that one expects. Vexels without pixels, I suppose.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill's Garden Grill.png 
Views:	339 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	92009  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Using multiple graphics programs to create artwork

Very good job Bill. Nice design in my opinion. Good choice of colors, I like the overall look of it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Bill a nice clean image well drawn. Think I might have done away with the image trace and just maybe used ID instead of PS as there was little in the way of blending options.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Nice logo Bill - all round yours for a vegetarian grill!

Is there any reason why that image couldn't have been completely created/manipulated in Xara?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Fine here by me Bob

very nice image - the CS6 trace is much improved since CS5 I think
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the comments, chaps.
    @ Peter, I wanted to see how few colours I could get away within the vegetables and Illy's tracer let me use 16 without too much loss of detail. I'm not familiar with InDesign, so I guess I'll have to download a trial and have a looksee.
    @ Frank, Xara's Bitmap Tracer is too much like hard work and very clunky, as has been discussed elsewhere. A rare case of Illustrator being the easier option. I have Vector Magic too, but it's less easy to get the control I was able to get in AI.
    @ Steve, yes there are a lot of improvements in this area, not least of which is speed (64bit version). The presets all are easy to understand for someone like me who is still coming to terms with Illy's vastness.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.