Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Climbing Rope Pattern Brush

Hello,

I no longer user Xara software as much as I used to - I will admit to that as I have been busy elsewehere. I still use Xara on the odd occassion.

However, I would like to incorporate a Climbing Rope Pattern into my Scout project that I am currently working on. I would like to replicate this Climbing Rope Pattern into a Xara brush as can be seen here at http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials...pattern-brush/

Before I waste too much time replicating it, is it possible for me to do this in Xara if I was to follow their instructions or have they use any specific Adobe Illustrator instructions?

I am aware of Xara rope brushes being available but not the climbing rope effect.

Thank you, DiscoverIT

Default Re: Climbing Rope Pattern Brush

The best way to find out is to try it. I think you could recreate most of the steps in Xara and if there are some you cannot, then see if you can figure out a work around.

I think there will be problems with the pattern at the stroke bends in xara...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

you can draw the brush pattern in Xara no problem, however you will need to use a much skinnier chunk than this tutorial does to actually make the brush, and even then you will need to avoid sharp bends. you wont be able to do tight coils.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The tut. is written for Adobe Illustrator CS3, and you can recreate the steps from #1 to #9 in XD versions, then modify only the two rows and you must add a shape behind the 2 rows, i have tried it in Xara, very hard, all curves must be very smooth but for ellipses and big radius looks good.
    Attached image is the best what i could create in XDP
    BP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RopeBrush.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	91324  
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

That looks good Mohamed, that's about what I was thinking of when I said to use a skinnier chunk I have been busy today and haven't had a lot of time to experiment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Always do a search on the subject here as you can pick up a lot of help. Egg I think it was did the first rope brushes which you could look at and see how he did them, as well as Big Frank's effort on a braided line. Both I have posted here and I am sure these gentlemen wont mind you using them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

its good to see those Peter - zomming in on the braided rope at the top curve shows the problem nicely, the question is, will it be visible in use?

quick and dirty attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

BP - Love your solution. It is more realistic than the Illustrator one because it does what a bended rope does on a curve.

Steve - Your Q&D is not too bad.

I had a go at this after looking at BP and Handrawn's brushes. This is what I came up with. I'm calling this EZ Rope because it's easily adjustable

Adjust the brush sequence and spacing settings on the spacing tab of the edit brush dialogue to adjust the brush pattern

This brush contains a named colour, The line colour will set this named colour, yet your original named colour will remain unchanged. Click any colour on the colourline while using the freehand/brush tool to change the ropes colour

I have also included the vector artwork so you can take it apart, and experiment with editing it to create variations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EZRope.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	91373
    EZ_Rope.xar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]