Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't get Designer Pro X to be my default program to handle Jpeg

When I right click on a jpg-file in Windows Explorer and click 'open with', I don't see Designer Pro X.

I see older Xara versions still installed on my pc - Xara Xtreme 5.1 and Xara Designer Pro 7.1
    So I go to: Open using already installed software, browse to the Xara folder, Xara Designer Pro X folder, and DesignerPro.exe.
    When I click on it, I get - in the "Open with" list - another instance of Xara Designer Pro 7.1... Clicking that does - as expected - open te V7 version.

Any idea what's wrong and how I can get ProX to work as my default for jpg handling (without uninstalling the previous versions) ?
    Guy -

I love these tools

Default Re: Can't get Designer Pro X to be my default program to handle Jpeg

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I had that frustrating problem. I had to do a registry tweak.

Sledger suggested:

Try and force it by changing the value to '1' in the registry Gary.

Close DPX then in regedit find;
    As near as I recollect, in Regedit I took this path HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > XARA > XtremePro > 8.1 > OPTIONS > CheckAssociations and I changed the value for XAR to 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	91097  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 24 July 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for your support Frank and Gary, but...
    @ Frank : this is exactly what I tried, but the system keeps refusing V8 (Designer Pro X)
    @ Gary : I don't have a problem with Xar files, but with jpg, and that extension isn't there in regedit, only web and xar as in your screenprint, and they both have value 1
    Guy -

I love these tools

Ah, OK.

Start > Default Programs > Associate a file type with a program

Or, right click on a jpg file and select to choose the default application. If DP8 is not in the list, browse to it and choose the exe. Make sure the check box to make it the default app is checked.

Mike

That's what I do Mike, but when I choose the exe, it comes back with the wrong version of the program, i.e. V7 i.o. V8
    Guy -

I love these tools

I have had the same problem, it seems to be because the .exe file in all versions are named the same eg:"PhotoGraphicDesigner"
    My solution to this problem was to rename the .exe file to PhotoGraphicDesignerMX.

Yep. A short-sighted thing on Xara's part. I had forgotten I had to rename the exe. Thanks, James.

Take care, Mike

Your welcome:-)