Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Default Initial scale for a Google map

I am trying to adjust the initial scale for a map. So far it always appears on the page at too great a scale. How do I adjust this?

My fruitless attempts so far have been:

1. After dragging the widget on to the page I set the map up with all its place markers and to the right scale.
    2. I click on the link icon and highlight the field headed "Past HTML to embed in web site".
    3. I click on insert at the bottom of the window, wait for a bit and the map appears at the wrong scale. It is still at the wrong scale when it is uploaded to the site.

I must be missing something. What is it?

Nick

Default Re: Initial scale for a Google map

Try the Bing map. It's a bit easier.

Search for the location of the map. Zoom in or out as desired.

Click in the upper right hand corner where it says Share (the envelope icon).

Click Copy, then click Customize and Preview. Set your parameters. Then press Generate Code.

Then Copy Code and Finally press Insert.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know anything about widgets but if this is the code you are pasting in, just use a placeholder. The size of the place holder does not matter, it is just a guide for you in laying out your page as far as I can tell, whether the the size of the shape you use for a placeholder is a 1\4 of an inch or runs right across the page, it will always give you the same results. Why? Because it's the html that is telling the browser what size the image has to be, the size of the placeholder has nothing to do with it. In the above example, if I want the image larger or smaller, I have to change the width and height size in the html code (it should be underlined and bold).
    .............frank

Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

Thanks, Gary

I will give it a whirl later.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Try the Bing map. It's a bit easier.

Search for the location of the map. Zoom in or out as desired.

Click in the upper right hand corner where it says Share (the envelope icon).

Click Copy, then click Customize and Preview. Set your parameters. Then press Generate Code.

Then Copy Code and Finally press Insert.