Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web site help please

Hi
    I don't know what's happened but my whole web site seems to have gone from my hard drive. If I try to open the file I just get a message 'The file seems to be empty'. The web site is up and running. Can you help me download it safely without it disappearing again.
    The web site is: www.visitbirmingham.co.uk
    Thanks
    Robin

Default Re: Web site help please

Firstly Robin, go to File, then Open Recent and at the bottom you will find 'Backups' click on this and you should find your website.

If not you can download the components of the file by going to file and clicking on 'import graphics from the web' type the url of the page you want to download and it will download all the graphics from the page but not in any form of layout, literally images, or download the images folder. Unfortunatly you cannot download a website intact; if you have adobe acrobat you can download as a pdf (it converts the site to pdf format) and them import the pdf into xara. I always make save backups and save the completed file to the server as well, I know a little late but just some advice for future.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Welcome to TalkGraphics arjay

Unfortunately, if you do not have backup versions, and I don't think Web Designer 6 created automatic backups, your only recourse is to rebuild the site. This link may be helpful http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest91/

When you select your document in Windows Explorer, right click, and select Properties, does it show a file size or is the file size 0?

hi Skech
    Wow, thanks. I realy thought I'd lost the lot. It was were you suggested in the 'backups' file. I didn't even know that folder was there. Many thanks anyway. Have you any idea what might of happened. Is it just one of those things that we can't prevent but only allow for by backing up constantly.
    Robin

Gary, I have web designer 6 and it creates backups automatically, I have thousands of the buggers.

Cool. That's good to know.

I have found from 25 years of design that files can go missing for no apparent reason - actually in my case it is usually human error. The best thing as i said is make backups yourself, I do the following to xara files as soon as the job is completed, first save to my portable hard drive, then every month make a dvd backup, upload each file to the customers server and to my own server and finally email the file to my various hotmail, yahoo and gmail accounts.

Gary / Skech
    Thanks both for your help. It looks like the bottom line it backup. backup. and backup again.