I imported Gary's wrinkled paper example from above. Via intersection method (ie intersected a rectangle w/ the bitmap) I cropped to the part I thought would be most appropriate. To darken it a bit more I overlayed a sepia-coloured filled shape and gave it a light stained glass transparency. I then imported and overlayed my sketch. As a bitmap, (vs. a bitmap filled shape)it can be easily contoned by applying a pen colour. I chose a sepia tone. Applying stained glass transparency (0%) made the white background of the sketch disappear. I grouped the whole bunch.

Next step was to give it a shape in keeping with wrinkled paper look. I just drew a line around the image - the line representing what I wanted to crop it to. I took clues from the wrinkles in the page. Upon getting the line all the way around it 'closed' itself creating a filled shape. I cloned the shape. The clone was set aside - it would be used to create the shadow. The other shape that was still where it was drawn was selected along with the group below. Intersecting them with the 'combine' menu item effectively cropped the group to the new shape.

The clone of the shape (set aside moments before) was given a shadow. That shadowed shape was positioned over the main group and it was sent to back. It now looked like the group was casting a shadow. That shadow however did not suitably suggest the three-dimensionality of the wrinkled paper. Overcoming that was easy. With the shadowed shape still selected I clicked on the shape editor tool . All the shape's nodes appeared and by repositioning them individually the shadow responded interactively. Using that method, the shadow was pulled back in places where the page would sit closest to the background.

Overall it is a fairly straightforward approach. I hope my explanation is suitably clear for others to try it for themselves.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>