Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I imported Gary's wrinkled paper example from above. Via intersection method (ie intersected a rectangle w/ the bitmap) I cropped to the part I thought would be most appropriate. To darken it a bit more I overlayed a sepia-coloured filled shape and gave it a light stained glass transparency. I then imported and overlayed my sketch. As a bitmap, (vs. a bitmap filled shape)it can be easily contoned by applying a pen colour. I chose a sepia tone. Applying stained glass transparency (0%) made the white background of the sketch disappear. I grouped the whole bunch.

Next step was to give it a shape in keeping with wrinkled paper look. I just drew a line around the image - the line representing what I wanted to crop it to. I took clues from the wrinkles in the page. Upon getting the line all the way around it 'closed' itself creating a filled shape. I cloned the shape. The clone was set aside - it would be used to create the shadow. The other shape that was still where it was drawn was selected along with the group below. Intersecting them with the 'combine' menu item effectively cropped the group to the new shape.

The clone of the shape (set aside moments before) was given a shadow. That shadowed shape was positioned over the main group and it was sent to back. It now looked like the group was casting a shadow. That shadow however did not suitably suggest the three-dimensionality of the wrinkled paper. Overcoming that was easy. With the shadowed shape still selected I clicked on the shape editor tool . All the shape's nodes appeared and by repositioning them individually the shadow responded interactively. Using that method, the shadow was pulled back in places where the page would sit closest to the background.

Overall it is a fairly straightforward approach. I hope my explanation is suitably clear for others to try it for themselves.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

"...shape in keeping with the wrinkles of the page ..."

My was initial approach was just the opposite. Thanks for turning me around. And I suppose I could apply a perspective as a last step, if necessary.

Excellent Ross!

Bob C.

Nothing fancy about my effect.

1. Fill a shape with one of the Cloth 1 fill from the Background folder in the Fill Gallery.

2. Same size object. Two color Fractal Clouds fill, sepia and white.

3. On top of that, same sized object, with Crumple 1 crinkled paper fill from the Miscellaneous Fills folder.

With Mix transparency on the top two layers.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

....but as always just checked out the forums before going to bed!!!
    2 hours later....I wanted to see if text could be made to flow across the contours of the paper. It was simple in Cinema4D. Just use a raster of the "scanned text" overlayed on a fractal plane. This gave me an image to work from (see attachment below).
    However there was no easy way (or hard way come to that) to achieve the same effect in XaraX.
    Love your sketch effect Ross.
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrinkled_plain.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	4964  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Name:	wrinkled_xara.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	15508  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, your example above in red text was exactly what I was trying to immitate. Beautiful job!

I had been semi-successful doing this in the past using PhotoPaint but its such an unflexible process.

To make things worse, in this current request, I was asked to wrinkle an old blue-line drawing (white lines on dark blue) so I could not overlay a Stained Glass transparency of a scan as Ross did above.

What I did do was a "fake-out" by creating a shadow effect on top of the wrinkled blue print which had zig-zag edges giving the impression that the wrinkled paper underneath was causing the shadow to undulate.

I've carried on a bit more (sod bed) and it's possible to fit text to a curve, and by giving carraige returns, a long line of text will continue to follow the line. (Someone posted this tip a few months back). You can then apply a mould. It gives an example attached below.

I know this doesn't help your image moulding. I'd like to see your finished "fake out".

Egg

Name:	wrinkled_xara2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	17656  
    Egg