Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Painting with the Shapebuilder tool - Video tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hi Ber First let's tackle the colours, go into your options panel (utilities > Options) and go to the view tab. Down at the bottom clear the check mark from delete unused colors and styles when saving. You should see the named colours on the colourline.

Thanks Frances. I did this the colors still do not show. The folder is in the color palette but has a small * beside it and appears empty.

Both the shapebuilder and the eraser tool are on the flyout menu with the rest of the drawing tools. Shift toggles between them and H toggles whether or not you can see all the nodes.
    I have a shape erase, a shape builder tool, The shape tool, line tool and freehand tool. I guess it got lost in the install.
    Still a great tut and I enjoyed it.

I exited the tut file and reopened it I now have the colors. Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by ber61; 12 February 2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Found solution

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@ Ber: The shape eraser is the only one there is. That's what I was using in the tutorial

@Dcahall: I'm glad that you learned from the tutorial
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I've taken Phil's point on board, I'll try and put something together but video tutorials are not my speciality ...
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ons-some-notes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Frances: I downloaded your .xar file but I do not see the color swatches. Should I see them? If not, how can I get them?

I am thinking about trying to create the watermelon even though I do not have the shape builder tool. I think the hardest part will be creating the shadow portions but I have an idea in the back of my mind of how I will do that as well. Yes, I know it will not work quite like you did but I still thinking about trying.

Creating the basic shape will not be that bad since I can use the other drawing tools (freehand & brush, shape, eraser and even the straight line tool) but the shadowing portions will be a bit trickier. I will probably have to watch the tut several times to get it all.

I really like the tutorials you and Gary create. I am not an artist but the two of you have encouraged me to try some things (with Xara and other tools as well). It is a fun way to spend some of my retirement time.

Great tut. Francis. I did the tut. and uploaded it in the Xone, I've just added a more appropriate background to this one Tropical Island, fresh melons, what more would be better? To be there

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melon 2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	94486  

OK - I do not have the SB/E tool because I only have the PGD version of the software but I had to give the tutorial a try. Definitely not as smooth and polished as Frances' or Stygg's versions but here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dave_watermelon_painting_2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	94490

Do not laugh too hard

If you happened to look at it earlier, this is a slightly adjusted version.

Someone tell my how to delete the original version that still shows below

Name:	dave_watermelon_painting.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	94489  
    Last edited by dcahall; 12 February 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Here is trial #3. I think I am getting a little closer with each try but it sure would be easier if I had the Shape Builder tool

Name:	dave_watermelon_painting_3.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	94491

Please Xara add the Shape Builder tool to the PGD product

OK - Now you all can have a laugh on me

Frances, you can see that I have enjoyed your tut

Quote Originally Posted by dcahall View Post
    Here is trial #3. I think I am getting a little closer with each try but it sure would be easier if I had the Shape Builder tool

Name:	dave_watermelon_painting_3.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	94491

Please Xara add the Shape Builder tool to the PGD product

OK - Now you all can have a laugh on me

Frances, you can see that I have enjoyed your tut
    Good effort dcahall, I'm not laughing at all. I did my drawing in Pro8 trial version so I try'd to recreate a few steps of the tut. in D.P.7 which I have and you'd be surprised at what you can do without the shape builder and eraser, not saying I don't need them, but there is always another way. I recreated the seeds and flesh just to see how it would turn out in DP7. So I will try the full tut. now in DP7.

Stygg

Name:	566.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	94496  

Yep - it just would have been easier with the Shape Builder (plus I have seen other uses for the SB). I used the tool to do most of the areas like between the rind and the meat and for the shadows. It involved drawing areas, adding and dragging control points and lines, and then feathering them as well as making them transparent. Most of the ideas came from Frances' video then just trying to figure out how to accomplishing the things she did with the SB/E. I also drew some of this from some of Gare's tutorials that I had watched before.

Yesterday I went an looked at the product comparison chart again, and the only feature that I would use from DP that I do not have in PGD is the SB/E (and yes we have - and I used - the eraser in PGD). As a hobbyist I just could not justify the huge price difference to upgrade. Have to keep finding work arounds and that was challenged me in this exercise.

I did have some problems and had to try several times with the eraser. Primarily, when I tried to combine transparency and erasing to the same object (or group of objects) one of those steps would sometimes wipe out the other step (in particular if I used the erase on grouped objects (the seed and the background for the seed) the transparency would override the erased portion and return it to its original state plus the transparency. But perhaps I was doing something wrong. I do not use these tools every day like many of you people do so I just assume it was me.

Anyway, one again I think Frances did a great job with the tutorial and I appreciate your feedback. The way people like me learn is to make many mistakes and try to remember from one session to another what we did wrong so the next time we will get it right.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It's great to see the creative methods you guys are coming up with to work around the lack of the Shape builder in P&GD.

@ dcahall: your images look good keep up the good work. We all learn from our mistakes, I also learned a lot from these forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.