Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Newbie question: How to draw "inner stroke/outline" around rectangle?

Hi guys,

I have a newbie photoshop-user question for you:

Question:
    How do I draw an stroke/line around an rectangle shape and let it be "INSIDE of the rectangle". Like in Photoshop in the stroke layer effects.

What I have so far:
    I am aware of the "line" option. BUT it paints the stroke OUTSIDE of the rectangle and extends its size. This is NOT what I would like to have.

I would be really thankful for an easy solution. :-)

Thanks for your tips
    Mike

Default Re: Newbie question: How to draw "inner stroke/outline" around rectangle?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Mike

Create a 1-step Inner Contour. Or convert a copy of your rectangle with the outline to shape (Arrange > Convert Line to Shape) and reduce the outline to the desired size.

Xara splits the difference with outlines and places one half outside the shape and one half inside the shape.

Default Re: Newbie question: How to draw "inner stroke/outline" around rectangle?

Thanks a lot priester, that works great!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSmith View Post
    Thanks a lot priester, that works great!!! :-)
    Could it be easier? An option in toolbar (inside-, outside-, centerline)?

Quote Originally Posted by Petar_MK View Post
    Could it be easier? An option in toolbar (inside-, outside-, centerline)?
    I don't understand your question Petar
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I understand it all to well...

Tis a pet peeve of mine. It's been requested before (I think).

In other applications, an outline can be positioned outside of the container, inside it, or as Xara does, splitting inside and outside. It is a very worthwhile function.

Why? If for nothing else, it affects overprint/knockout settings in print, and for the web, designing say a banner to be an explicit width, adding an outline changes the width/height in pixels. Worse, Xara still reports the size of the object without the additional thickness of the outline until you pop into the export dialog.

Take care, Mike

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree it's a worthwhile feature and I'd love to see it added, it's been some time since anyone asked for it in the Dear Xara forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The feature has been requested many times. I have no idea where it may be on Xara's internal wish list, near the top or further down the list.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

When a rectangle tool is selected, a toolbar for this tool is opened offering to draw rectangle by radius creation, diameter creation, and so on... at this toolbar 3 further buttons about rectangle outline creation should be added -- inside, centerline and outside. This way the user can choose the preferable option.

it would be better to have this as an option for outlines in general, not just on the rectangle/quickshape info bar...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...