Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default error message/techincal problem/oh no

Last night I was working on a project that I've been real proud of and spent hours on it. Bedtime, I saved it as a .xar file as I always do and shut down.

Today I went to open it and finish it off and: 1. I got a error message saying there were problems with the file. (see attachment) 2. The file is opening with just 2 shapes and a background and the rest is not there. I was so good about saving this project many times during the making of it and I can't believe it's really gone. On my hard drive, in the folder, the .xar file is there and it shows up as completely whole in the thumbnail.

I hope someone can help me recover this file.

Thanks
    pslane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara18.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	90548  

Default Re: error message/techincal problem/oh no

This is what I call *&(&^%$#^%$#@!!! and %$^%$&^#@%$#!!!!!

Go to File > Open Recent... Backups...

If you have one of the more recent Xara products, and have not disabled Automatic Backups, you will see a list of your backups. Try a few of the most recent ones and see what you find. Usually you will only have lost 15-20 minutes of work.

About an hour ago, my computer shut off. It does this. I have no idea why. It just does. And I am working on a redesign of my stereograms site. I only lost about 5 minutes work.

If you find a recent backup that is pretty much everything, save it over the corrupted file.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

First do you have the back option turned on? It is turned on by default and as long as you haven't turned it off you should be able to go to Open Recent and at the very bottom of the list you will see 'backups...' click that and you will get a list of backup documents. you should have a number different revisions depending on what is set in your options default is 10. Try opening one of those and save it with a new name and location.

Oops beaten to it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank goodness for automatic backups!!! I didn't know I could find backups so easy. There were several and all I was missing was the frame which was the last thing I did. Thank you both. Gary you need a new computer. (solved!)

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You are quite welcome I'm always glad to help (even if I was beaten to the punch!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Really good to know this, I have just read it but will remember, thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by coldwetnoz View Post
    Gary you need a new computer.
    That's what it sounds like to me.