Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Smile Site update and new mobile site

First thanks to Abi for her mobile template!

I gave my main Good Morning Sunshine site a face lift, new background, photo banners top and bottom, new fonts and a new game widget in the fun and games.
    www.goodmorningsunshine.ca

I also used Abi's mobile template and created a set of mobile friendly pages. You can access the mobile pages from the button on the main site or scan this QR code with your phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gms mobile qr.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	90527

As you can see I've also spent some time researching and learning how to customize the QR code so it isn't so ugly I'd really like some feedback and/or suggestions for improvement on both sites.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Site update and new mobile site

Looks lovely with the new background Frances.

I tried the mobile 'button' and all works well.

I have attached a screen shot of the view i'm given when I look at the mobile site on a 'Samsung Galaxy 2' : but i'd wait for some others to report back with findings first as it may be just my phone set-up. (on mine the cut-off on the right edge misses off the 'E' from Sunshine)

If someone is on the mobile site and wants to go back to the main site, is there a link back?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gms.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	90528

From the 'thoughts to ponder' section on Your site: "If one synchronized swimmer drowns do the rest have to drown too?"
    “When everybody thinks alike, Everyone is likely to be wrong”
    http://antonybrook.co.uk/index.htm

Very nice update, the background is really good and I have tried the sudoku (or should I say tried and failed) just one thing the go to top arrow doesn't seem to work in opera.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Well done, I think it is important we aim for the mobile 'market' like this. Just a couple of important notes so far: The Angelize QR code did not work with my iPhone, and this reader has never failed until today, but a great idea nonetheless. For both Angelize AND gwpriester, the sites start out not centered on the screen, a double tap fixes this, but I have noticed on both sites, that the page still floats left or right after the double-tap. BUT, if you click an option on the menu, the site THEN becomes fixed and does not float anymore. This occurs on both sites and I am sure that either of you will figure out that final step to center and lock the screen on the initial landing. This is NOT a criticism of course, you have both done a great job to fit your mobile versions onto a phone screen, which, as you have pointed out, is very important these days, and if we can offer this option to our clients as a value-added or extra cost service, it is win for everyone. If I can get away from the constraints of using jquery for my mobile sites, I will have much more control if i can use Xara for the mobile version of each site I create. Good job so far guys.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    As you can see I've also spent some time researching and learning how to customize the QR code so it isn't so ugly
    I don't think you've succeeded in making it any prettier actually, in fact all you've really done is made it harder for code readers to interpret.
    My Samsung Galaxy S2 was able to read it but only just, it took much longer than regular black/white QR codes.
    I think it's important to resist prettying up something which is designed for a specific function and not to make it difficult for any smartphone to read, you'll only lose visitors because of it.

As to the new site, well, I'd prefer to see brighter, cleaner 'sunnier' colours. To my eye the over use of light cyan is quite drab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC20120626-222459.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	90529  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 26 June 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typos

Hi Frances,

Yep, I think the cyan is a bit over used too. The color more or less speaks of clear skies, but no sunshine. No "Good Morning."

Also, I think your advertisement for SunWings graphic design melts together with colors too closely related.

If there is suppose to be an image at the upper right, it seems to be missing.

I would also change the name of the home page to something other than "Home." Perhaps "Good Morning Sunshine."

Take care, Mike

Thanks everyone this is great feedback so far, I'm hoping to make some improvements and I'll see if I can find that AWOL image (good spot Mike)

Steve and Andy what QR readers were you using? I tested the QR code in two different readers on my Windows7 phone and both Readers read the code quite easily. Has anyone else had difficulty with the code?

I'm intereseted in knowing how long it takes the QR readers to read the code, what platform/ phone you are using, and of course any errors. I'm still experimenting with editing the code and if I know what readers are having difficulty reading it I'll see if I can test with them.
    Last edited by angelize; 27 June 2012 at 12:39 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

On her iPhone 3 my daughter was able to use QR reader for iPhone and take a picture and the app was able to read the code from that. From what I have found all QR readers are not created equal, so I'd be interested in testing with scanners that have difficulty or fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree about the QR code. It is an eyesore but I am not sure you have made it less of an eye sore.

You can experiment with size. It does not have to be that large. You can experiment with how far back you can take it, as in transparency, and still get it to read. It's a trade off at best. Anyway, mobile sites are the next big thing. I'm convinced.

Yes I agree it does not have to be that large and when I researched the codes and how to edit them one thing that you have to keep in mind is contrast, the code must have enough contrast and the code must be dark and the background must be light, and the background behind the code must not interfere with the code (I have a faint pattern on mine and it may be that pattern that is interfering with some readers.

The code does not have to have square edges they can be rounded which does make them seem less harsh, and a lot of big companies are picking up on this I saw a QR code on a site that offered customized QR Codes for Subway done in Subway colors with an embeded logo. (I wonder how much Subway paid for that?)

Any way I think you are right Mobile sites are going to be the next big thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]