Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why drawing cars?

I was just thinking about my impression that why it is so popular to draw cars in vector applications? I mean almost in everybody`s portfolio there is a beautiful car

Maybe that is a good lesson to practice through the lights, shadows etc?

Default Re: Why drawing cars?

certainly good practice

maybe it's because the cars themselves are usually designed using computer tools that are CAD/CAM-vector based
    Last edited by handrawn; 22 June 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cars, like human faces are iconic visual objects, with immediate, familiar recognition. As an artist, if you screw up a human face, no matter how realistic the rest the image, it will seem less realistic or poorly done. If you get the car looking recognizalbe and fairly accurate (especially with metallic highlights and shadows), the rest of the image will work. Being so iconic, cars are frequently replicated by vector artists.

However, there are no car illustrations in my portfolio - I'm not into cars, per se. Illustrations of humans, illustrations in reference to pre-20th century styles and maps are all that you'll find in my portfolio. So not 'everybody' has a car illustration in their portfolio...

Maybe it's a bloke thing? I mean we stick posters of cars up in our bedrooms and stuff as Teenagers so who knows. Sigmund Freud probably had a theory but lets not go there!!.
    “When everybody thinks alike, Everyone is likely to be wrong”
    http://antonybrook.co.uk/index.htm

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It's not necessarily a guy thing, I did a car once. I admit I did it as a gift for my husband though...

It was a learning and practice experience for me as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Personally I neither too much interested in cars, but looks beautiful in vector drawings. And if someone for example dreams about a lamborghini to modelize, the first step is going to get the official "frame" somehow so the visible lines of that model?

you mean like a dream car ??

Not my favorite thing to draw do but I have done a few cars before. it is probably popular because you can make your car look photo realistic.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire