Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to view Organization / Heirarchy chart of website

I am coming from xSitePro 2.5, which places a lot of emphasis on site structure/organization and there was a pane in the designer that I can view a mini flow chart (folder/file tree, or mind map) of all of my pages and sub pages. xSitePro also kept track of all links automatically so that if I changed a name of one page, any other linked pages were automatically updated. I can create unlinked pages also.

I see that Xara Web designer MX premium 8 is much more visually oriented (drag and drop) when it comes to design. But I'm trying to locate where Xara keeps track of the entire structure of website in a logical fashion so I can hop from page to page. It seems like the default view is just a list of pages. I could not find a web tutorial dealing with working with website structure in Xara; the tutorials I saw all dealt with design only. Keeping the pages organized and properly linked is very important. I don't expect full blown SEO techniques, but an overview how how Xara keeps track of pages/subpages automatically, including ability to generate some type of site map.

PS: can you schedule pages to be uploaded to website? Like drip content?

Default Re: How to view Organization / Heirarchy chart of website

Hi 4EverMaAT, welcome to TG

There is no file structure in WDMX. All the HTML files are on one level and images, script files and such are within the index_htm_files folder when exported. Sub sites can be created but this is not recommended unless your site has grown very large as it adds an extra layer of complication and problems with site-wide changes.

Clicking on a linked object or section of text will bring up a tool bar that allows you to change, remove or follow (in editor) that link. Links will also be updated if file names are changed.

A Sitemap (XML) can be generated if you enter your full URL into the "website url:" field under the publish tab - Utilities > Web Properties > Publish

Publishing only the edited files can be triggered by checking the re-publish changed files only box under the same tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Hi 4EverMaAT, welcome to TG

There is no file structure in WDMX. All the HTML files are on one level and images, script files and such are within the index_htm_files folder when exported. Sub sites can be created but this is not recommended unless your site has grown very large as it adds an extra layer of complication and problems with site-wide changes.

Clicking on a linked object or section of text will bring up a tool bar that allows you to change, remove or follow (in editor) that link. Links will also be updated if file names are changed.

A Sitemap (XML) can be generated if you enter your full URL into the "website url:" field under the publish tab - Utilities > Web Properties > Publish

Publishing only the edited files can be triggered by checking the re-publish changed files only box under the same tab.
    So just to confirm, there is no way to create Page 1 >> subpage 1 ? (in a logical fashion that the web designer keeps track of)? That seems a bit limited in 2012, as it is not uncommon to have subpages.

Not directly within WD no.

Yes it does seem limited but WD is aimed at the non techie market. Professionals can and do find it useful for prototyping designs and trying out ideas with clients.

Having said that, I have seen some fantastic sites built with WD. A little knowledge goes a long way with this system

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Not directly within WD no.

Yes it does seem limited but WD is aimed at the non techie market. Professionals can and do find it useful for prototyping designs and trying out ideas with clients.

Having said that, I have seen some fantastic sites built with WD. A little knowledge goes a long way with this system

I was hoping to get the knowledge. WD seems like a fantastic tool, but I can't keep up with subpages? Or I can, but there is a trick to it, which is fine. I need more information on the "trick".

To create sub pages you will effectively create a separate site within each folder. Each site/.web file will have to be styled, linked and maintained to match the main site and all the other sub sites. As you can imagine, making a simple site-wide change like a background colour or adding a new page can be more work than one would expect. It can be done but WD is not the best tool for the job when it comes to sites that are structured in this way.