Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: User Manual

Default User Manual

Is there an editable pdf version of the User Manual or is there a .xar version of the manual for DP X?

Default Re: User Manual

When you received your order confirmation email with your unlock code there should have been a link to download the pdf manual. If you no longer have the email you will need to contact Xara at: http://www.xara.com/us/contact/ or if you live in the UK http://www.xara.com/uk/contact
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill, but I am looking for an editable version of the manual so I can add and subtract and use it for my notes!

Sorry, the only pdf manual available is the one in the link.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I tried to import the pdf into DP X which as far as the documentation should work and make it editable but xara stalled. Do you know why.
    I tried to break the manual up by trying to break the manual into smaller more controllable sizes but Adobe acrobat would allow me to do that either.
    So is DP X not allowing me to create and editable version because the pdf is locked, and therefore will not import documents that are not editable?

A couple options. Have Acrobat? If so, you can add sticky notes to the PDF. You can also export the PDF to HTML with Acrobat. A relatively ugly html file, but it works. This can then be opened in Word, etc. Including your browser.

Don't have Acrobat? You can open the CHM file (the application help file), right click and view the source, which is simply html. Save it out, import it into a word processor capable of opening HTML documents (like Word or LibreOffice). Then make notes there. Unfortunately there will not be images, just text.

You can simply highlight text in the PDF, copy and paste into your word processor of choice and make your annotations. Make a TOC at the beginning and update it when you make entries. You can use a screen capture utility to capture relevant images off the PDF page and paste them into the Word document.

You can obtain some useful utilities for converting PDFs to html that do a better job than Acrobat's export. As well as utilities to port the PDF into Word. LibreOffice (opens in LO Draw, btw) does an acceptable job of opening the PDF altogether. I use another solution, but the results are similar.

In short there are these and more options.

Oh, btw. Be prepared for memory usage using most if not all these solutions. Once extracted, there are about 5200 images that need to load once extracted from the PDF. The html file is some 3.x megabytes in size. The original manual was created using Word and there are no bookmarks and so the TOC and index are "dumb." So the HTML has no internal links. (There's even a way around this.) The Word file weighs in at about 42 megabytes.

One last thing. I wouldn't expect any software company to supply the manual in any original editable format.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the speedy reply Mike. I do have Acrobat and will give that a try.

With Acrobat, my favorite method is the most simple one, the sticky notes and highlighting directly in the PDF. The notes are accessible on any page and one can jump to the appropriate page by clicking on the note. And one can search the entirety of the notes.

Besides, I am too lazy to go through all the other work to do the other methods. Except for when I wrote the above. I wanted to make sure of the sizes of combined files.
    Take care, Mike