Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Old school web coder here

Hello, I've never really got up to speed with these new technologies of web creation. I just dabble anyway. Not a pro in the least. I'm working on a family business website and thought XARA web designer seemed easier to use for maintaining and updating the site.

I want to create two gradients on the side of a picture to give it a soft look. Check out my site, www.jcroofingca.com at the header image for what I mean.

I used photoshop to make those. and I found it easy to make the gradients symmetrical. In using XARA, what would be the best way to approach this? I'm planning on having the images be random everytime the page loads as well.

Should I just save the images with the pre-gradient already there (seems initially easier, but more work when I update the images with new business projects), or is there a quicker more efficient way of doing this using XARA?

Thanks for reading, appreciate it

John

Default Re: Old school web coder here

Quote Originally Posted by jc8670 View Post
    In using XARA, what would be the best way to approach this?
    If I'm understanding you correctly then this short video should help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve--

Your video on creating a banner or header web page graphic with soft gradient edges is very nice and I'm sure that it will be very helpful to John and others. Thank you for creating it and sharing it.

To give everyone an idea of what Steve is demonstrating in the video he uploaded in post #2 of this thread, here is a screen grab of the finished effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient-edges.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	89922
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Hey Sledger thanks for the upload this is exactly what I wanted to do.

The magic is in the grouping.

John