Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Print Screen + Paste into Xara Designer Pro X: Transparency (feature)?

I use alot of Print-Screen and paste directly into Xara.
    However, XaraX behaves differently? Is that a new feature? If yes, how can I get XaraX to behave like Xara7?

EDIT: I just discovered CTRL+Q (Utilities > Screen Capture), which works. Is this the new method to insert screenshots into Xara without transparencies?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	89904
    Last edited by Nostaw; 30 May 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Default Re: Print Screen + Paste into Xara Designer Pro X: Transparency (feature)?

That is odd, I use screen capture a lot too, but I can't repeat what you are getting any which way I try in DPX, never get any transparency.
    Do you have any clipboard mangers running?

Default Re: Print Screen + Paste into Xara Designer Pro X: Transparency (feature)?

To clarify, I didn't use any screen capture tool, I just pressed "Print Screen" on my keyboard and CTRL+V into Xara and it will include transparency (as seen above). If I switch to Photoshop and press CTRL+V the screenshot looks correct.
    I don't have any clipboard managers running that I'm aware of. I just checked Process Explorer and closed all tasks and processes but get the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostaw View Post
    To clarify, I didn't use any screen capture tool, I just pressed "Print Screen" on my keyboard and CTRL+V into Xara
    Yep, same here. But I don't get any transparency, ever. So I'm wondering what is different.
    If it helps the devs, my graphics card is a GeForce 9800GT with driver version 195.62 and I run DPX on Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Thanks Sledger! I have Quadro FX1700 (here at work), Windows XP. I will have to reinstall Xara7 to see if this is just a XaraX issue on this computer.

Will also try tonight at my home system on Win7x64 (NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700) see if it behaves different.

no problems here that I can see either with printscreen or xdpx alt+Q

geforce and win7 all up to date
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The pasting of alpha channel 32bpp bmps has been changed to preserve the alpha data in the bitmap to improve workflow with various other programs.

We have seen this issue on a number of machines during testing but it hasn't yet been possible to draw many conclusions as to the root cause. It is presumably something to do with whether the video card drivers blank the alpha channel when in 32 bpp mode but we haven't isolated any particular video card/video driver/OS/other machine specs combination because the number of occurences has been too small.

There is a registry entry that can be changed to disable this behaviour. Just set Options/Clipboard/PasteAlpha to 0 and it should return to the v7 behaviour. Usual disclaimers about editing the registry apply...

Gerry
    Last edited by GerryI; 30 May 2012 at 10:18 AM.

thanks Gerry

[mine is nvidia GT 430 for the record]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

xdp6 Re: Print Screen + Paste into Xara Designer Pro X: Transparency (feature)?

Just confirmed I am having the issue as well here on my work PC (haven't tried it at home yet). I've got an Nvidia 9500 GT. What you're seeing in the attached screenshot is a screenshot (Alt-PrintScreen) of a Windows Explorer window pasted into Xara Designer Pro X.

-- Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	89925
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post

There is a registry entry that can be changed to disable this behaviour. Just set Options/Clipboard/PasteAlpha to 0 and it should return to the v7 behaviour. Usual disclaimers about editing the registry apply...

Gerry
    Here is the .reg to change this feature without any risk.
    http://www.nautical-institute.com/cl...pastealpha.zip