Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DPX/animation questions

I have just created my first animation....considering the fact that I have been using Xara since X1, you may have deduced that I am a slow learner. Anyway just two simple questions.

1) I am working and improving on this animation but if I want to save it and come back to it later, what format should I save it as so that I can pick up where I left off?

2) This one is driving me crazy! After I created my work of art, I have moved the 'center of rotation' for each segment to create somewhat fluid motion. However, I cannot get the new center of rotation to stay where I put it. Each time I select a segment, the center is back in the middle or worse, somewhere else on the screen where I might have been working on it. Please tell me how to correct this.

Thank you,

Bob

Default Re: DPX/animation questions

first is easy - in the XAR format as normal assuming you are using xara designer, X3D if you are using xara 3D

to reset the centre of rotation you use the 'set origin position' pad on the infobar of the selector tool - it has nine positions that correspond to the nine boundary handles and centre
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you very much. I knew it must be something easy. Everything is easy in Xara...but there is so much to learn and (and at my age) so little time.

Bob

Hi Bob

Save it as a XAR file. DPX will know it is an animation and will open the document as an animation windowT

he center of rotation is a curious thing. But as a rule it kind of remains where you last left it, so the next object you select to rotate will often, perhaps always, rotate around where you last rotated.

There is an icon on the Infobar that sets the rotation point in one of 9 positions. If you click in the center it resets the center of rotation to the center of the object.

If you want the object to rotate from the same point each time, add a small + to the object where you from where you want the object to rotate. Then go back later and remove the +s.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

pleasure
    Nothing lasts forever...

Gary,

"If you want the object to rotate from the same point each time, add a small + to the object where you from where you want the object to rotate. Then go back later and remove the +s."

That was most of my problem, I just didn't phrase my question correctly. I thought that the center would remain where I had placed it, but it doesn't stay there. Each time I select that particular segment, I have to remember to move the center of rotation point again. I have alot of segments and it is a pain in the neck. I guess there is no way for the center to be locked in the position where I place it? Sorry, but I did not understand your statement about adding a small +.

Thanks,

Bob

the centre of rotation will reset if you leave the selection tool

it will also reset if you double click an object

and there are lots of other trigger factors too it seems

I think Gary is saying mark position with a letter x [or whatever you prefer] - if you do this then to get the rotation point back there you select the x and then click centre origin point button on the info bar
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 May 2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: tipohs
    Nothing lasts forever...

Okay, that I can understand! It wasn't what I had hoped for but at least I know I am not doing something wrong.

Thanks again,

Bob

I'm not sure I've understood things properly but if you need to place an '+' where you're going to move a rotation point to, then is it not easier to place a vertical and horizontal ruler there?
    Create a cross-point where you want it.

That way, when you move the rotation point to where the cross points of the rulers is, it will always be at the same place.
    When you move the rotation point, it snaps to where the ruler cross-point is.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Here is a neat workaround for the centre of rotation issue that this question inspired me to invent...

Draw a large circle centred at the point about which you wish your target object to rotate, such that the circle totally surrounds the target.

Now group the circle and the target object and you will discover that the two naturally rotate around your chosen pivot point.

Continue to group these circle / target pairs and you can articulate a puppet!

Give each group a name, pin out the Names Gallery and it becomes quite usable.

My demo file has coloured circles but there is no reason they can't be transparent (no line or fill colour).

Birdman Dance.swf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ampa; 27 May 2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added animation