Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am running XP........My 'geek' buddy helped **ALLOT** getting the partitioning and the installation done for me. I am really surprised that (I think him too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) that both Win2000 and WinXP are running side by side, nothing hidden or anything. It's amazing........got lots to do to this thing but so far so good........

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I am running XP........My 'geek' buddy helped **ALLOT** getting the partitioning and the installation done for me. I am really surprised that (I think him too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) that both Win2000 and WinXP are running side by side, nothing hidden or anything. It's amazing........got lots to do to this thing but so far so good........

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

This is exactly what i am trying to do in the next 2 weeks

I had a workstaion that Win 2000 pro is
    pre-installed, and i wanted to have XP, so i was confused which to keep
    I read articles on which is the better OS for graphic application, I did not get the answer i was hopping for, evryone and every test shows advantegas and disadvantages of XP & Win2000

But most and logically Win2000 is the better choice for PRO , but i wanted to have both

Do you have any hardware conflicts?
    Did you istalled each HD driver on each OS? you should...

Is there is any performance problems ?

Note: I read about a new application that is around now, it is called VirtualPC , wher you can have more than one OS and you can work on them simultancely, side by side, you switch from first OS by keyword function then jumps to the second OS

I did not try it yet.

Ummmm, for some reason that even my 'geek' friend can't comprehend is that I was able to take my first 20 Gig hard drive and partition it (with Partition Magic) down the middle (10 gigs each).

Win2000 is on the first partition (C drive) Windows XP is on the "E" partition on the first hard drive sitting right next to Win2000. Then I relocated ALL of my personal files and folders (My Documents, image files, music and any thing else I wanted protected) re-assigned to another location, amply named "My Documents" on the second hard drive, which is now the "D" drive. I can actually access Win2000 from XP and vice versa and also the "D" drive for anything I want.

I will NOT try to run any program from Win2000 thru WinXP but I can grab anything I want from there and drag it over here. It's very weird. I haven't been able to do this since I ran BeOS and Mandrake Linux!!!

Right now I am doing all the updates. With my luck it will have some fix that will blow away all this good fortune but I have to just see. It's all a gamble and if what everyone say's is true about XaraX running more smoothly on this OS then I will be hard pressed to keep Win2000.

So it's a "just waint and see" thing. So far so good. I have most things working right off the bat. No Wacum Tablet yet and no Agfa scanner yet but I will go out and get the drivers for both and see what happens.

So I will keep everyone abreast and hope for the best. I gots to go to bed now............almost 4:00 AM here..............tired........!!

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I've run Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP side by side for some time now, without any problems at all.

I have an Athlon 1.4GHz and 768MB of RAM with one hard disc split down the middle just like you. The only difference is that all my documents and files are kept on a shared network drive on a second, redundant PC.

The redundant PC backs up everything to tape each night and also sits on the broadband connection, sharing it to the main PC. I realise that not everyone has the space to accomodate such a setup, but can highly recommend it for speed and security - my workstation is essentially expendable because it has no valuable data on it.

Keeping the number of programs trimmed down, and avoiding untrustworthy shareware applications helps in system stability. The redundant PC's not been rebooted for about 60 days now, and my workstation is currently on its 10th day without reboot or powerdown.

While WindowsXP is delicious to use, and once you're over the garish colours, nice to look at - my OS of choice is Windows 2000, it is slightly faster, and I find it more reliable in that if something goes wrong, it's easily fixed. On the rare occasions I had a problem with WindowsXP, it's mollycoddling way of wrapping me up in cotton wool meant I couldn't fix any problems, and ended up formatting/reinstalling.

WHEW!!! I thought there was some sort of a weird glitch that was going to crash and burn my entire system at any moment.

An interface question. Stupid but I really want to figure out why this is.

In Display I DID choose the classic Windows design, I just couldn't take NOT having my favorite colors available. But when I select an icon it goes all dark and ugly, what's with that???? I tried changing just about the entire color scheme and it's still does that!!! Got to be a way to change that one!!!

Got my Outlook Express transfered over, WAB, Favorites, Earthlinks accounts all set up, Sounds taken care of (mail notify, exit, start windows, all that stuff) new MailWasher downloaded and installed, all updates are in place (wasn't as bad as I thought). One thing that I notice I still can't do and I thought that this was in one of the updates that has been released....MS products are still proprietary on the system? I thought there was a "fix" for that allowing you to uninstall programs like "Messenger" and some other irratating features??? Any info on that, while we're at it???

Thanks again for the input, helped allot.

Seperate computer for the "My Documents" and backups, huh?!?! Interesting......... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I actually quite like to use Messenger - I think instant messaging is a very useful tool, I use it to keep in touch with both friends and customers. I've tried AOL, Yahoo and ICQ's offerings, but they are all more 'dirty' than MSN's..... they either install plugins, are more complex to use, or want more attention than I'm prepared to give them.

If you want rid of it, you can de-attach it from Windows XP by following the instructions at http://www.ntcompatible.com/faq328.shtml.

If you're thinking of another computer for backups etc, drop me a line offlist and I'm happy to answer any questions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*chuckles*

Well I've got a hard drive tray that I use to swap OSes, it prevents me from accidentally formatting my data drive, or wiping out my OS if I decide to play around with the latest Linux distribution or something.

All of my data files are kept on a separate drive, which gets backed up to CD-RW every few months. (I don't edit the files there often enough to warrant more than that, especially since my CD-RW is 4x [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )

But when you get a system to the point where you're not adding or removing anything, it has the potential to run for a long time without a reboot. Now if only Microsoft would build a decent OS that doesn't have a new security patch released every week or two, I'd be set to beat my record of a month without a reboot.

Lothaekor

Getting more and more stuff on board, one thing was, of course, XaraX and Xara3D, well the brushes STILL crash. So it aint Win2000. I have a funny feeling that maybe there are corrupted files on the XaraX disk, at this point it's the only thing that makes sense to me. XP more stable, ummm, OK, maybe, but it sure isn't stable enough to keep XaraX running when it's dealing with this area!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Truth be told, regarding the Messenger, I'm not a Microsoft fan (MicroHARDUP is what I usually call the company [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) so anything that I DON'T have to deal with related to them is more what I want on my system. Sorry if tha offends any 'fan' of MS, I just have never been 100% happy with the systems and the bugs in the OS versions STILL persist!! It's the luck of the draw, IMHO, if you get a system up and running with NO crashes, freezes or the like!!!

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I thought there was a "fix" for that allowing you to uninstall programs like "Messenger" and some other irratating features??? Any info on that, while we're at it???
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can find info on that here and here.

Hope it helps!

Pauly