Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: FTP upload

Default FTP upload

I'm using WD7 and love it...really an excellent version of what was already very good-

Question- when XWD loads a new version of a website to my hosts server, does it clear everything out of the directory where the previous version resided?

Reason for the question: using Mtopsoft password software which requires that a protected page be added directly into the server directory using Filezilla etc. I want to know whether Xara clears out that extra file, even though the file will be uploaded from a source other than XWD-

Many thanks

Default Re: FTP upload

kadip - I am not real sure. But there is one way to know. Make backup copies of the protected page, then republish some content on your site.

I think if you set your option in the Website Properties > Publish tabbed section to Re-publish changed files only, you should be OK.

But try it first as I suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by kadip View Post
    when XWD loads a new version of a website to my hosts server, does it clear everything out of the directory where the previous version resided?

I want to know whether Xara clears out that extra file, even though the file will be uploaded from a source other than XWD-
    No.

By doing what is suggested by Gary above I think webdesigner creates a small file (index.xhl I think) so that the next time you upload to the server it only uploads the bits which have changed. If I make to large changes I always delete all the files off the server and then reload.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Thanks to all for the input. Ill try GAry's approach and agree it probably makes sense just to clear out files if Ive made big changes. Just trying to get the mtopsoft password function to work with minimum additional effort. Appreciate all the ideas.

The only files that will be deleted from the FTP server by WD or DP are ones that are referenced in the .xhl file from a previous publish operation and are no longer needed by the current publish operation. Basically, the .xhl file is a list of all the files that the program has put on the server with checksum values. When publishing only changed files, the .xhl file is downloaded first and used to work out which files are new, which existing ones have changed and which old ones are no longer needed. It then does the necessary FTP operations.

So, in summary, the only files that should be deleted by the program are ones that the program put there and any files that you have uploaded yourself should be left alone.

Gerry