Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Accidental deleting of pages in Designer Pro X - possible bug

I've been accidentally deleting pages due to new behaviour in Designer Pro X. If you delete an object by pressing the delete key or backspace key it seems to auto select the current page and pressing delete or backspace again will delete the current page, sometimes it gives a warning "Do you want to delete current page?" and other times it just deletes it without warning (more likely if you use backspace it seems). I didn't notice it happening at first and was scratching my head as to where all the work I had done had gone, luckily a couple of undos brought it back. I think DP7 handled this better ie. current page was not auto selected after deleting something.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Default Re: Accidental deleting of pages in Designer Pro X - possible bug

I don't see any difference in this behaviour from version 7, Tom.
    There's no way I see to delete an object from the page without that page being selected, unless I'm missing something.
    On the other hand, Pro 6 doesn't delete pages when backspace is pressed.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have noticed this behaviour too. In DP7 if you needed to delete several objects you could hold down the delete key and delete each object by simply selecting them but in DPX holding down the delete key will give you an option to delete the entire page or cancel (and if you are not careful it is possible to accidentally delete the whole page )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think this may be a new function for deleting a page by not having anything selected. This seems to require having more than one page in the document and when you press the Delete key you should get a dialog asking you to confirm you want the page deleted.

So while you can delete a page by pressing the Delete key, you do have the opportunity to cancel the operation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delete current page.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	89726  

Yes your right about the delete key Gary but using the backspace key is more dodgy because it deletes without warning. (which is what happend to me)

Try these steps if you want to try replicating:

1: create new doc
    2: create a new page
    3: on the new page draw an object
    4: with the object selected press backspace to delete it
    5: press backspace again and the whole page is deleted - without warning

Actually it does seem to behave the same in DP7 if you press backspace but delete key behaves differently, in DP7 pressing delete after deleting an object does nothing (which is ideal imo) but in DPX it trys to delete the page but at least it does give a warning unlike backspace.

After playing around with this I also sometimes get an error message as attached in both DPX and DP7...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spurious.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	89725  
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I have noticed this behaviour too. In DP7 if you needed to delete several objects you could hold down the delete key and delete each object by simply selecting them but in DPX holding down the delete key will give you an option to delete the entire page or cancel (and if you are not careful it is possible to accidentally delete the whole page )
    I didn't even know you could do that but yes it's the same problem. I hope they fix it back because it's unlikelily anybody would want to delete the whole page after deleting an object.

Hm, fortunately I did not use to press often the Backspace But yes, with multiple pages was able to reproduce it.

Might not be too crucial to a lot of people, but, I for one am pleased that this thread stated.
    Thanks tom.

I am using a MacBook and it doesn't have a delete key. Only a backspace key.
    If you want the delete function, then it's 'fn+backspace', on the MacBook.

But, I just tend to press backspace to delete an object.

I just tried it and indeed, just pressing the backspace key will delete the page without any warning. (Not the last page however. Only the additional pages.)

This happens exactly the same in DP7, for me though.
    So no difference in that sense.

But, I am just pleased at knowing what the backspace key could do.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks for pointing at this, xtom.

The backspace-key is assigned to the cut operation. So by pressing one'll move the page to the clipboard + delete it in the current document.

We've decieded to ask if the user was intending to cut the page then - so same behaviour as for the delete-key to avoid the accidential cut of pages one has worked on.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kmario View Post
    Thanks for pointing at this, xtom.

The backspace-key is assigned to the cut operation. So by pressing one'll move the page to the clipboard + delete it in the current document.

We've decieded to ask if the user was intending to cut the page then - so same behaviour as for the delete-key to avoid the accidential cut of pages one has worked on.
    As a Developer is listening...
    could you also consider to do the following:
    Hit Delete or Backspace and get Delete/Cut confirmation dialogs as currently in place/planned
    or:
    Hit Ctrl+Delete or Ctrl+Backspace and get Delete/Cut without dialog?

I know comparable solutions from several other programs and I believe such makes a lot of sense.