Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: updates

Default updates

It would be useful when updating/upgrading that the original settings were transferred to the latest version.

For instance I am now finding that I have to re-enter all the spelling additions that I had in pro 7 to pro x.

Now there may be a dictionary located somewhere but reluctant to move as it may corrupt the new SW, anyway it should not have to be done.

That also goes for all the options and templates as have to be reset.

Peter

Default Re: updates

Thing is, unlike some software which updates by overwriting the older version, new versions from Xara install into a new program folder thus allowing you to continue using the older version with all it's custom settings.
    This approach is very much preferable imho.

Yes, but.

My Serif applications have a setting in the options dialog to transfer various (chosen by the user) settings from at least two previous versions if it finds them on your computer. But one can also navigate to a folder if say they reside on another computer.

This wouldn't be a bad addition--as well as opening up more of the registry settings to the end user.

Take care, Mike

I'll grant it would be extra work for the developers so whilst it would be useful, maybe not a priority across the board

updating dictionaries for example, yes - on the otherhand updating toolbars is a maybe, as a new version [hopefully] means new tools, means a good time to review your layout

I used to keep old versions installed, but these days I don't bother - so much has changed it gets confusing [to me] - but I imagine it can be convenient for legacy work

It's not as if it was either/or as MIke has pointed out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

There is a dictionary file in the C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\7.1 directory which you should be able to copy to the equivalent directory for the new version

Christine