Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Color select/erase tool help

Just downloaded/purchased DesignerPro X and do not understand how to use this tool. I followed the instructions in the help file (as well as an old man can!) and cannot get it to work. For instance, I cannot get the color tolerance/fade controls to move off of 20/25% respectively. I know it is my fault so please be gentle. A step by step would greatly be appreciated. If you specify which photo you are using in the Design gallery, I will follow along. Thank you.

Bob

Edit: I have no idea how I posted this question to the wrong forum group....should have gone into the Graphics Chat area....boy am I having a bad day or what?
    Last edited by BobMoyer; 18 May 2012 at 06:24 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Color select/erase tool help

Hi Bob, are you trying to re-adjust those sliders after initally selecting and making a soft mask and editing with the photo tool?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Actually, I was just playing with the new program. After selecting a photo from the design gallery, I chose the color select/erase tool, I clicked on an area within the photo and that was when I noticed that I could not adjust the sliders nor could I activate either of the mask buttons above. I was particularly intrigued by the notion of the example flowers posted by Xara where the color changed from blue to red to yellow, etc. The photo from the gallery kept giving me some sort of error message about not being able to find the picture. I mean it was showing on my screen but I could not change any of the colors. The picture I tried was of a red motorcycle from the ones that came with the program. On the far left of the color select/erase tool bar, there is a button that I assume toggles something on/off. I tried to use these features with it toggled both on and off but nothing happened. Thanks.

Bob

ahhh I think the issue might be that you haven't installed the designs gallery content pack. Are you using a purchased version or a trial version? With these new versions the designs gallery is loaded online and you must have the trial unlocked to install the content pack.

If you are using a trial please try using a photo you have on your hard drive and see if the problem persists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

I am using the purchased version. I selected the 'download content installer and pan studio' under the HELP menu. I assume this content is installed as I ran the program and I do have pan studio. I just checked again and the picture I was working with mentioned above is in a folder under "examples, xara drawings 1, firestorm. I guess that was my problem....it was a drawing not a photo? Sorry about that, Xara drawings are soooo good that they look like photos.

Bob

Yes that would be the problem, The colour select/erase needs pixels to choose. No worries though you can find the photos now under page elements > photo and then you can choose from landscape or portrait or photo clipart etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super to play with this tool, as I perceive better to place several markers on different places to the same looking color, then it removes it more accurately

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color_remove.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	89616

Yes more markers is better and you can resize the markers to adjust how many different pixels they are touching/selecting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]