Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Ribbons, shadow dividers, and other doodads for webdesign

Hi,

I don't plan on being a professional graphic designer but since I've bought the Xara PGD7 software, I was curious if it is possible to make ribbons, shadow dividers, tags, and other fancy doodads in web design. Some examples are here - http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011...in-web-design/ Are there sources available where I can download an example and modify in xara?

On a separate note - can you tell me again how to make a white background transparent? Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Ribbons, shadow dividers, and other doodads for webdesign

Hello,

Easiest means to learn, perhaps, is to put an example image on a layer and click the padlock icon on that layer so you cannot select it. Create a new layer and use the shape tool to draw out the elements that make up a ribbon, for instance.

So in the screen shots, I went over the ribbon, it will turn to a black fill, which I in turn immediately made transparent. Then I used the color editor set to HSV and selected the eye dropper and sampled the color to that of the blue surrounding the Tag graphic. Set the line to none. Moved it down for the second screen shot and added type with a white fill.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	89553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	89554  

I found a ribbon generator. For shadow dividers I found this link - http://designshack.net/articles/grap...site-dividers/ Will going through these steps work in xara? Do I need to save the object as a png to enable a transparant background?

They are so easy to make and you have XDP...

The answer to the new link is both yes and no. Not exactly those steps because they are using an image application. But you can replicate them. Give it a try, let me know how you progress and I can step in with some pointers if they do not turn out how you like them.

Yes, PNG will support the transparency.

Take care, Mike

I have PhotoGraphicDesigner 7. Can you go through step by step how to make a ribbon in this program? I still struggle in where to find everything. I just have to spend more time playing with it as I am still preoccupied with the outside website builder program.

I don't have PGD, so I will need to make sure the same necessary tools are there--but I think they are.

Really. Try creating the ribbon like I mentioned above. Go to that first site you linked, right-click over the image and copy it. Switch to Xara, paste it. Use the shape tool and click around the image like I show. When you make it back around to the strat, it will fill-in, and just do what I have written.

At least see if that works, eh?

Mike

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello IeMS,

Here is a quick mini tutorial that will help you get started. I have included the .xar file so you will have the vector graphics I created to play with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ribbon mini tut.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	89568

Ribbon mini tut.xar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Back to shadow - create line, add drop shadow, and what next? How do I make the ends look right? I'll figure out the ribbon later (such as how to add the side parts).