Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pro X: change in EULA re installation numbers?

Along with many of you I've just downloaded, purchased and installed our Designer Pro X treat for the summer. Instead of clicking past the EULA screen I scrolled through it for the first time in ages and noticed that installation on one computer is permitted. Now I know that in the past there has been explicit permission to install on a desktop and laptop - which I have done in the past as a normal part of my working habit and this is hardly an unusual or unreasonable wish. So I checked Xara.com and find that this isn't quite the new change I suspected - version 7 has the same or similar EULA but I hand't noticed at the time. Yet if you search "laptop" in the Xara.com Knowledgebase, you get a page for "version 4 or later..." which says "The license allows you to install copies onto multiple computers - so long as you are the only user. For example, you could install it on both your desktop and laptop computers."

Now I guess the latter quote is simply a yet-to-be-updated hangover from earlier days (pre Magix?) but is it really too much to ask that we can fully and legally install Xara onto a laptop and desktop simultaneously?

OK, moan over, now off to try out the long-awaited Text Styles and other goodies...

Jon

Default Re: Pro X: change in EULA re installation numbers?

Checking the EULA from Designer Pro version 4 through to current DPX I don't see any changes.
    But, whereas once before you had unlimited re-installations on machines 'under your control' - since version 4 there is a limit of 3. After this you can email support and they'll reset this number for you if you have a legit reason to want to install on yet another machine (under your control).
    Desktop or laptop are both PCs, there is no distinction bewteen the two.
    You can however re-install many times on the same machine.

Xara KBA 2307
    Versions 4 or later of Xara Xtreme / Xara Xtreme Pro / Designer Pro / Photo & Graphic Designer / Web Designer / Web Designer Premium

There is a 3 machine activation limit on these programs. This means the programs can be installed and reinstalled multiple times on 3 seperate machines. Additional installations will result in a message when activating indicating your activation count has been exceeded. Please contact the support team in this scenario requesting an increase in the activation count.

There are currently no activation limits for other Xara software.

The license allows you to install copies onto multiple computers - so long as you are the only user. For example, you could install it on both your desktop and laptop computers.

Xara reserves the right to withdraw this facility from anyone it suspects of abusing it.

If there will be more than one user, then we sell CD multi-packs that offer savings on multiple copies. See our website here: http://www.xara.com/ordering/multipack.asp

Default Re: Pro X: change in EULA re installation numbers?

Maybe I was too hasty, Steve. I've just read the EULA as it appears within the Designer Pro X helpfile and it does refer there to your permission to "copy the Software from one computer to another under your personal control provided it is used on only one computer at any one time and only by you". I don't recollect seeing that text in the onscreen EULA which pops up as part of the installation process - and which prompted my initial concern on this topic - but I guess I wasn't reading carefully enough. Plus I was eager to get the program up and running... Apologies for wrongly setting any hares running.