Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Is it possible to change the default font sizes listed?

I have been using Xara for a very long time (I believe the first version I purchased was called Corel Xara if that gives you any idea) and have been very happy with it.

I have recently started a side business generating signs and banners and continue to use Xara as my primary graphics editor, but I've discovered a tiny issue and I'm hoping there is some way around it. The Font Size live preview slider is limited (for some reason?) to sizes less than 32pt, and the font drop down list starts getting coarse after 24pt and tops out at 72pt sizes. Since most of what I'm doing involves text sizes larger than 72pt and much larger than the 32pt the slider allows, both of those options for adjusting font size have lost their usefulness.

Is there any way for me to adjust the values for the slider and/or for the drop down list to allow larger numbers? I realize I could use a scaling factor and layout my signs as a fraction of their intended size, but then I have hope to remember to change the scale when I import it into my sign cutting software or run the risk of wasting vinyl, so that would be my last choice.

Surely I can't be the only person who uses large text?

Also, has anyone else noticed any issues with exporting text into EPS and getting a change in the case of the text? If I export "This is Text" as an EPS file, when I import it into my sign cutting software, I sometimes get "tHIS IS tEXT", but if I import the same EPS into Xara it looks normal. Not sure if that is Xara or the sign cutting software (LXi Express Expert edition)... Until I figure that one out, I make sure to convert text to editable shapes before exporting it...

Any feedback is appreciated - thanks in advance!
    Michael Schafer - Ottumwa Decal

Default Re: Is it possible to change the default font sizes listed?

Just enter (type it in) the size you want, Michael.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-16_144650.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	89518  

Also key presses can be very useful in place of the mouse slider.

When the text tool is in use:

Ctrl + Shift + >
    Ctrl + Shift + <

Grow and shrink the currently selected text by 1pt size (from 1 to infinity!).

Yes, the mouse slider is next to useless for me.
    Far quicker to type in the exact size you want I find

I don't use the slider either. I prefer exact font sizes, so I either select from the dropdown or type it in. I do use sizes larger than 72pt with moderate frequency.

I found another small issue with the default text size ... I usually create a default template with u.s. letter portrait and set the background color, line width, text size, etc. and save as default - I make the text size 24 pt., but it always opens with 10. XDP7 keeps the new settings on text size.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Ampa View Post
    Also key presses can be very useful in place of the mouse slider.

When the text tool is in use:

Ctrl + Shift + >
    Ctrl + Shift + <

Grow and shrink the currently selected text by 1pt size (from 1 to infinity!).
    Thanks, Ampa, I had no idea that key combo existed! I do like the slider for fitting text to a specific area, and it would be great if there wasn't such a small upper limit - at least let it go up to 72pt!

Thanks to everyone else, too!